Saxophone Forum

by fatman
(2 posts)
15 years ago

Conn 10m 1949-1950 rolled holes vs straight holes

Just bought 10m conn 1949-1950 naked lady.... mint and original. I have been reading online, the arguement between rolled holes and straight holes.It seems there is no definitive answer. Some say if you get a straight hole sax close to the cut off date of rolled holes you are better off..I play the yamaha 475 intermediate.Straight holes. I have 2 guys who work on saxes and one says he has seen as many good Conns straight hole as rolled hole. The other says rolled holes is the way to go.I have been looking for a Conn for 3 years and after passing on some nice straight hole saxes looking for that rolled hole so I gave up, bought the straight hole.....sounds great but getting used to the fingering will take some time.Do Conn 10m players use the extra keys?suggestions?. Could some one help,what really is the difference in the holes.. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Conn 10m 1949-1950 rolled holes vs straight holes

I used to have a straight tone hole 10M close to that vintage- a great horn. (Still kicking myself for selling it.) I also have a tranny RTH alto- also a great horn. Consider this: if you have to have a tone hole worked on, I'd imagine it would be far easier to do a straight one than a rolled one. Sound-wise, who knows- lots of opinions out there. I use the extra keys on all of my horns that have them, but if they weren't there I wouldn't miss them. All of this boils down to being familiar with what you have and liking the results you get from your equipment. Straight or rolled, I think you're going to fall in love with that Lady...

Reply To Post

1. by fatman
      (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Conn 10m 1949-1950 rolled holes vs straight holes

Thanks for the response,so much talk about which is better... can be so confusing. I had one repair guy tell me to NOT and I mean NOT buy the sax, almost did not, glad i did.

Reply To Post