Saxophone Forum

by chrisk33
(3 posts)
15 years ago

Conn 1925 soprano - Can someone tell me what the marks mean?

The marks below the patent date on my Conn soprano are as follows. I can tell by the serial number that it was made in 1925. But what do the other numbers and letters mean? III9954 S M153862 L Thank you for any information!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by zoot51
    (10 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Conn 1925 soprano - Can someone tell me what the marks mean?

1119954 is the patent number referring to the Haynes Flute Company's patent for the process of creating drawn tone holes. Conn used the process under license and, according to the patent laws of the time, had to list that information on the instrument. The S means soprano. Tenors had a T, C-melody saxes had a C, etc. M153862 is the serial number, a unique number assigned to that instrument that allows one to determine date of manufacture, etc. The L means Low Pitch. At the time your horn was made, the transition from High Pitch (A=453 Hz or thereabouts) to modern concert pitch of A=440 Hz was still going on. All new instruments had to be marked, since the difference was not obvious to the naked eye. High PItch instruments (Conns were marked with an H, naturally) will not play in tune with modern instruments and are therefore undesireable. Most have disappeared over time, but a few crop up on eBay, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by chrisk33
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks a lot! Chris

Reply To Post

2. by basssaxman88
      (68 posts)

15 years ago

wasn't the original low pitch A=432 Hz back in the 30's?

Reply To Post

1. by chrisk33
        (3 posts)

15 years ago

There's a nice article on the history of standard pitch at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(music)#History_of_pitch_standards_in_Western_music but it doesn't go into what was standard among American band instrument makers in the early 20th century...

Reply To Post