Saxophone Forum

by GypsySax
(2 posts)
15 years ago

About to buy a Mk VI. Right year? Any good?

Okay, so I realise that the whole ‘Mk VI question time’ has somewhat been done to death here, but please humour me? I need to learn :) I am about to possibly purchase a Mark VI. I've been playing on a Keilwerth SX90R up until now. The sax offered is almost £2000 in price, and is apparently a 1959 sax. The seller claims to have dated it by the Selmer web site. I'm going to ask him for serial numbers, but what am I looking for here? What years are the archetypal 'sought after' Mark VI's? Does this one miss the boat? What should I be looking out for in terms of the saxophones state? (Other then sound and key action)? I know some Mk VIs go for upwards of £4000 so I'm considering buying this anyway, and then selling it on if I don't like it. (I'm in a completely different part of the country to the seller). I've attached pictures - it appears to have no lacquer left, will this affect sound? Many thanks and sorry for being a complete newbie!! I love my Keilwerth but I'm drawn by the myth that is the Mark VI, and by having a limited budget!! img8.imageshack.us/img8/8389/27844900.jpg img8.imageshack.us/img8/9454/45516099.jpg img26.imageshack.us/img26/6540/65097499.jpg img26.imageshack.us/img26/7802/95278522.jpg Many thanks for the help!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GypsySax
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: About to buy a Mk VI. Right year? Any good?

I realise the pics above aren't working. if you add http:// on the front they will.

Reply To Post