Saxophone Forum

by rmyz24car
(6 posts)
15 years ago

1933 Conn Alto. Need help with exactly what it is and what the value is.

I have a 1933 conn which i inherited from my grandfather. He was the original owner of the saxophone. I am just confused exactly what it is. I will link all of the photos and any help you could provide me on what exactly it is and what its value is id appreciate. It comes with the original case and also the original conn eagle mouthpiece.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rmyz24car
    (6 posts)

15 years ago

1. by rmyz24car
      (6 posts)

15 years ago

Re: 1933 Conn Alto. Need help with exactly what it is and what the value is.

To make it a little easier the serial number is m254057 with an A above the serial number and a L below the serial number.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

15 years ago

That's a spittin' image of my alto (also 254XXX), what we call a transitional model, for all intents and purposes a 6M. Great horn, and it looks to be well cared for. The lacquer looks like it could be original, but do be advised that in those days, lacquer was in its infancy. Some folks bought a bare brass horn and had it lacquered afterwards. The case looks like it's not original. Value? For an idea of what it's worth, try completed items on e-bay. I paid $1,100 for mine, freshly overhauled and with worse lacquer than yours. (Just fyi, it took the place of my Selmer mk. VI- it's that good!)

Reply To Post

1. by rmyz24car
          (6 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks for the reply blackfrancis. Are you sure that it is not the original case? I know for sure that it looks like it is original. It does have a weird leather strap that goes around the bell of the sax to hold it in place. I havnt seen a case with that yet.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

15 years ago

You'll find a great picture of an original Conn case on e-bay. look under Conn alto and look at the 1930 Chu Berry.

Reply To Post

3. by rmyz24car
          (6 posts)

15 years ago

This sax is now up for sale on ebay. Im including a period c melody mouthpiece. Its a no reserve with 2 days left. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=180351943862

Reply To Post