Saxophone Forum

by MaxBarnes
(3 posts)
15 years ago

Conn 10M Sax - Serial # 295557- Age?

Hello - I purchased a Conn 10-M SAX today and have had a difficult time dating it. Seems to be in very good condition but will need some repairs. Serial number is 295557 and I was hoping someone could help me date it. I can't seem to even though I've done some research on it. Seller told me 1988, but research seems to indicate otherwise and the case looks way older than 20 years, not that the case matches. A ballpark value might also help me figure whether I should spend the money needed to repair it as I'm a bit short on cash right now. Any help is appreciated - TKS - Max

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MaxBarnes
    (3 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Conn 10M Sax - Serial # 295557- Age?

Little more info on it. It reads 10 M -- Pat Applied For -- the single letter "T" -- 295557 - the single letter "J" or "L". Front of the Sax has the engraving and worn some so I'm not sure I have all the lettering right, but reads "E-BY" "CG Conn LTD". I can only find one serial # in that range 1941-1942 I think for these instruments. The Pat Applied For, from my experience with other completely different type items(early fishing reels), would indicate an early model in which the patent had not been approved when this one was made. Someone hurry and burst my bubble. I've been on such a hard luck streak for so long now, I'd like to hear the bad news quick before I get my hopes up that I have a nice Sax. Thanks again-Max

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

ok, i guess ill have to dissappoint you by saying youve got a nice sax, as long as its in good condition. there is a review of one at www.shwoodwind.co.uk its not too hard to find. just go under Reviews then Tenors. i think.

Reply To Post

1. by MaxBarnes
        (3 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks for the note cuber. I appreciate your input. Max

Reply To Post