Saxophone Forum

by Jazzsinger01
(1 post)
15 years ago

Vintage Conn

My first time on the site...still trying to figure out how to join discussion...couldn't post so started new discussion on same topic: I have acquired a c melody sax, made by CG Conn, Ltd. , Elkhart, Indiana Patented Dec 8, 1914 #1119954 C #80945 L It is severely tarnished and the pads are shot.....Finish is coming up very shiny silver on the front of the bell, but seems like a dull silver everywhere else and the inside of the bell looks like gold -colored brass................is the outer finish possibly white brass? I'm trying to proceed cautiously with the cleaning process...........don't want to do any damage...Can anyone fill me in on some of the details of this instrument? I know from reading other posts it is c melody and is low pitch.......this is the first time I've come across a serial number without a letter in front of it, just "80945".....Also, any recommendations for cleaning? Could it be silver? Thanks for any help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Vintage Conn

to post, click that pencil thing in the bottom right-hand corner sounds like a alto ive got. the easiest way of cleaning it is to take it to a tech guy. theyve got this liquid stuff that takes all the tarnish off the silver. if you do that, your probably going to have to have it repaded, and that can get a bit costly.

Reply To Post