Saxophone Forum

by saxman4231
(1 post)
15 years ago

King Super 20 for classical?

I'm a music major and primarily a tenor player, but I need to have an alto for blind auditions starting next year. I cam across a great playing late 60's King Super 20 for $1200. However, I'm questioning whether or not that horn can be used for classical playing? I'm sure I'll use it for jazz a lot of the time, too. Plus, it has a Yamaha G1 neck, which seemed to give it a better classical tone. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

15 years ago

Re: King Super 20 for classical?

In the "classical" realm, you will meet many with preconceived notions of what brand of sax you must play (or to be blunt, Selmer snobs). Be prepared to encounter them on a daily basis playing a King. Other than that, if you get a good tone top to bottom and can play it in tune, why not?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: King Super 20 for classical?

The Super 20 is a great horn..one of the finest..there is no reason you can't get a wonderful "classical " sound on this instrument with the proper set up and productive practice..your'e a lucky fellow to have this horn..have some fun, make some art, and ignore the snobs.

Reply To Post