Saxophone Forum

by Lord Darth Beavis
(2 posts)
15 years ago

Pan American Bari Sax--your thoughts?

I was given a Pan American Bb bari a couple years ago. I had a friend who repairs horns check it out, and he gave her a clean bill of health, other than being a little dirty. I did a little research, and determined that she was built in 1923. She is a low pitch horn (yay!), and has pretty decent action. I'm thinking a little oil will fix that particular issue. The horn came with a steel mouthpiece. Can anybody recommend another mouthpiece for this horn? Anyway, I'm just wondering what the rest of the community thinks of these old horns. For the price, it can't be beat.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Pan American Bari Sax--your thoughts?

Be advised that the usual Conn serial number catalogs DO NOT apply to their Pan American/intermediate line of horns. Determining the date of manufacture from these is incorrect. No extant catalogs survive for the Pan Am horns, so anything other than a "guesstimate" based on the horn's features in the dating process is highly suspect. Although these are often nice sounding and playing, if a bit stripped down, horns, they were after all marketed as a less expensive and step up line. As such, they do not go for anything near the prices obtained by the pro lines Conn produced. Short answer; Keep it, play it, and enjoy a nice horn.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

ive heard that the sn. on pan-americans really doesnt mean anything, and that they were pretty much randomly stamped. ive got a pan-american based off a Chu-berry. i like it. mouthpiece? berg-larsons are always decent on baris. might want to find a darker piece, like a ###/3 or 4.

Reply To Post

2. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

15 years ago

I have tw0 12M's here and one Pan American. Other than engraving and a few cosmetic differences they look and play the same. The body couplings - body/bottom bow - bow, bell - on the PA actually fit together perfectly, with no ragged edges or gaps - excedingly well put together. Not so the 12m's, though it could be due to sloppy repairs

Reply To Post AIM

3. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

15 years ago

A Pan American Bb Bari? I've never seen a Bb Bari before. Maybe it's a typo or maybe I've missed out on something in the 50 years as a sax player?
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by MartinMods
      (63 posts)

15 years ago

Here 's one:

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Lord Darth Beavis
        (2 posts)

15 years ago

That one could be my horn's twin, but for the fact that most of the silver on mine is black, and she has no case. I spent a couple hours playing her, and for an old horn, everything seems to work with the exception of the octave key (on the body). Guess I'll be doing a little maintenance in the not-so-distant future...

Reply To Post

2. by MartinMods
      (63 posts)

15 years ago

He means keyed to low Bb of course, as apposed to Low A.

Reply To Post AIM