Saxophone Forum

by KimmyK
(6 posts)
15 years ago

CAN YOU SHARE YOUR KNOWLEGE???

I was wonderin the value "if anyone could pitch me a ballpark" of my sax... I use to play years(s) ago in high school but havent picked it up in A LONG TIME... If its valuable I may sell it! My children have no interest in a saxophone they just like banging on drums and playing their guitars lol! Its a silver Tenor Wurlitzer American The Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. PATD DEC 8 1914 1119954 T P 8988 L Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their knowledge! Kim

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KimmyK
    (6 posts)

15 years ago

Re: CAN YOU SHARE YOUR KNOWLEGE???

OK... I have been all over the web and still cannot find out who made my sax... I am not sure now if it is a Martin or Buescher ... I have taken some pics so if you can help it would be appriciated! thx kim

Reply To Post

1. by KimmyK
      (6 posts)

15 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by KimmyK
        (6 posts)

15 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

15 years ago

Kim, Your Wurlitzer branded horn is a Conn stencil. The "P" before the serial number was Conn's designation for stencil horns produced by them. "Stencils" are horns made by a manufacturer for another company, unbranded so that the purchasing company can put their own name or brand on them, thus "stenciled" The "T" refers to a Bflat Tenor, and the "L" to low pitch. The Patent date is not the year of manufacture, rather it refers to the William S. Haynes drawn tone hole manufacturing patent. Regular Conn catalog serial number dates to not apply to their stencil line of horns, and the separate catalog for these was destroyed in a factory fire, so determining the exact date of manufacture for your horn is a bit tricky. Most Conn produced Wurlitzer horns were based on their Wonder Improved, or their New Wonder Series l models. If it is lacking a front high F, it is likely the former, and if it has it, it is likely the latter model. PATD DEC 8 1914 1119954 T P 8988 L

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

15 years ago

Took a look at your last posted link, and it is positively a Conn stencil of their earlier Wonder model. Wurlitzer requested some upgrades from the standard Conn Wonder horns with their self branded stencil orders, such as pearl finger touches and generally fancier engraving/plating. The Conn Wonders did not have the pearl touches. These are quite primitive by modern standards, and not worth a lot monetarily. Hang on to it, and enjoy it.

Reply To Post

3. by KimmyK
          (6 posts)

15 years ago

Thank you so much ... I have been trying for what seems like eternity to find this info... I thought really hard about selling but the more I handle her the more I fall back in love with her! I work in the wireless industry so if I can ever help answer a question for you it would be my pleasure (best I can do ) ... Thanks again :-) Kim

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

15 years ago

Not a problem Kim. It can seem like a maze indeed, because as you discovered, Wurlitzer contracted a number of stencils from different makers such as Conn, Buescher and Martin. I should clarify that my statement "primitive by today's standards" refers to the keywork. The sound and build quality of these horns is great, however the keywork can be a bit basic and difficult for some to navigate. Also, the New Wonder I and II and Artist models that replaced the Wonder had some considerable improvements in this area, so the price the Wonder models command generally doesn't not bring enough to part with it.

Reply To Post