Saxophone Forum

by noremac430
(2 posts)
15 years ago

C.G. Conn Alto ID help please

Recently my grandmother passes away and as we were cleaning out her house we came across an old CG Conn Alto sax. I went to the Conn website and found some info but I'm not sure about the serial number. The sax is labled as follows A 133998 L Which I know means it's an Alto that's tuned low. What I"m confused about is the serial number system on conn's website. The sax is either from 1914 or 1980. My guess is 1980 but could I get some verification? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

15 years ago

Re: C.G. Conn Alto ID help please

judging by serial number, probably late 20's (looks it up) looks like its from 1924

Reply To Post

1. by noremac430
      (2 posts)

15 years ago

That's awesome! Can anyone else verify that info? If it is from that time period, is there any value to it?

Reply To Post

1. by live_jazz
        (3 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber is correct. I also own an alto Conn '' Chu Berry'' (serial number 147xxx), it is from 1925. It is a reasonably valuable sax, but it really depends on the condition, the lacquer (most are silver with the bell gold), and if it is the original lacquer or if it was relacquered (in your case it is probably an original lacquer). Please give us some more info so we can put an approximate value on the horn.

Reply To Post