Saxophone Forum

by Jango
(13 posts)
20 years ago

Practicing in an apartment or condo?

Anyone care to list little tricks to keeping the noise down while still being able to practice at the same time? I have mutes for my tenor and alto and find that using a number 1.5 TENOR reed in my alto works well for practice. I hope there are lots of ideas because this has to be a bug problem in a big city. Thanks, Jango

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Practicing in an apartment or condo?

There is a certain gig bag that doubles as a whole-horn mute. It goes over the whole thing - your hands and all, and you play it inside the bag. I've never tried it, but a fellow musician I know has and he said that he and his roommate in college used them and they worked great. I think they can be had for alto or tenor. I don't know the name, but I've seen it in the WWBW catalog. Go cruise their website.

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
      (155 posts)

20 years ago

I wouldn't change reeds. It will change the sound and feel more than the volume. Might do more harm than good. As far as muting a tenor you can throw a heavy coat over the horn and play through the sleeves or drape it over the horn on a closet in a hanger. This will really cut down the sound. Kind of unlpleasant but nicer than being evicted.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

just play. if u suck, and ur neighbors or whoever hate it, maybe thatll be inscentive for u to get better now wont it?? and even if they dont like it and ur good, screw em, ur allowed to play ur sax as long as ur not doin it at like 2 in the mornin, dont worry about it, just play and forget the ppl who dont want to hear it, thats what id do..=) (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 9/4/2004 12:40:16 PM)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by spottspidermunki
      (55 posts)

20 years ago

man i do play at 2 am. thats when i play my best actually. i practice in my garage w/ the doors down, so its really not that bad for me. i got lucky on that one. but i'd try that gigbag/mute deal. it seems a bit restricting, but u gotta do what u gotta do. if u can deal w/ the low Bb being impossible to hit, put a sock full of quilt stuffing inside the bell. or a large, poofy nerf ball works 2. jus my 2 cents. by now u've probably solved the problem, but what the heck Joel

Reply To Post AIM