Saxophone Forum

by JinxVanAshke
(3 posts)
15 years ago

Old Conn Identifying Problems

Ok I will post what I do know first then post the one..somewhat major problem that is really bothering me at the end. Through the course of a job a long time ago one of my customers was moving down to Florida and cleaning out her garage and had a pile of stuff she was throwing away..including one Alto Sax so I salvaged it noting it seemed old and was a Conn and I already had a nice fully functioning modern instrument I put it away in a spare case and didn't think of it again till my daughter expressed interest in learning so I figured why not this old one for her to bang up and learn on and looked into seeing what would need repairing. History done now the facts. It has a 6m Stamp on the back under the thumb rest and above a Pat APPD For stamp It has scroll work on the bell along with a ladies face set in the middle (Not a nude lady just a caricature of a face) Inside the engraving is states "Made by CG Conn LTD, Elkhart IND USA" It does not have rolled note holes. It has wire guards And the reason I have to ask..and the part that really bothers me... The serial number has apparently been filed off as the rest of the finish is old and worn and a few scratches but, nothing like how the serial number section looks. So the 2 questions is can anyone give me an estimate on year for this instrument and would I be able to get it restored for use when it well..people don't rub off serial numbers for good reasons.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Old Conn Identifying Problems

well, it was made after 1947 (i think thats when they discontinued tone holes) The 6ms made after the discontinuation are worth... considerably less. Someone probably tried to scam somebody with the "I dont know the serial #, so its probably a good one" line. you can get anything restored. the question is "Is it worth it?"

Reply To Post

1. by JinxVanAshke
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

I honestly don't plan to sell it and as soon as I get my digital camera working I will take pictures to show the condition as best as internet pictures can. I was just worried that if I tried to get it repadded the repair guy would be like..No serial #...no service. I should mention even with fairly worn pads that it still produces a fairly nice tone and despite a sticky key or two it has pretty fast action. But, I stress I am looking to use this instrument to teach my kid but, I didn't want to accidental give her something..er..rare..overly valuable...I think I am just gonna contact my parents and get my Yamaha student sax I used back in high school in the 80's/90's which.. probably will also need re padding but, I know how to work on that one myself. Also digging through memories the lady was like in her 60's and she said her husband used the sax for as long as she could remember till he had died 10 or so years ago and it sat in the garage.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

15 years ago

I know the Navy used the Conns for a while and I've heard that when they got rid of them the serial numbers were taken off????
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by JinxVanAshke
          (3 posts)

15 years ago

Oh..that is a possibility as I live right next an Army base. And if the Navy used something a good chance the Army got them from the same place.

Reply To Post