Saxophone Forum

by gpind
(2 posts)
14 years ago

What is my best option?

Hi there, I play some instruments (piano, guitar, drums, cello) and my next try is the sax (tenor since I am in the jazz mood). Now, my question: what is the best tenor sax for me considering that I want to spend no more than $400.00? Of course, used one probably is my best pick. I searched on eBay and some do not have the brand name, although others were Selmer ranging from $300 - 500. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

14 years ago

Re: What is my best option?

It's just my opinion, but I'd go with a vintage American horn, if you can find one in good shape. That is possible. Then you get pro quality sound and response. I just bought a Wurlitzer (Martin stencil) for $178.00 which plays so nicely, from top to bottom, that I'm going to mod it and play it as my main axe. A client sent me an Olds Ambassador (Martin stencil and identical to the Wurlitzer above) for a quick repad. It was a nice playing horn. No bad notes. Great tone. Great intonation. He then sold it on eBay for just over $400.00. Just about any Martin or Conn or Buescher stencil will be worth looking at. Pan American (Conn 10m or Chu copies) tenors are nice.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by gpind
      (2 posts)

14 years ago

Thank you Martin. Any restriction to used Selmer 1244? There are couple of them on eBay.

Reply To Post

1. by MartinMods
        (63 posts)

14 years ago

I know a few players who love the Selmer USA horns. They aren't playing Jazz, with a capital "J" though - more the R&B direction. I never played one myself, so I can't say. Those horns look nice. If you decided Selmer USA wasn't for you after trying one, I'm sure you could re-sell it at no loss.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

Martinmods, My son has an old vintage Wurlitzer(Martin stencil) tenor and alto. He is a professional sax player and jazz critic. The horns are incredible. Check out the horns on his new CD!! You can hear it for free. I must warn you, he is a very outside player. Just Google Chris Kelsey sax player and you will get his site..............Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

nice shameless plug kelsey though i will check it out

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Hey Cuber!! The name of his new CD is 'Not Cool'... As I said it's all very outside, but over all his best work yet!! The old Martin Wulitzer saxes are really sounding good. His soprano is a Yamaha!! I don't like the soprano on this CD!! It used to be his main axe, but I think he will change to playing tenor and alto most of the time now. Of course I'm the proud papa!!!..Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by MartinMods
          (63 posts)

14 years ago

I came across your son's site some time ago Kelsey. Very nice. The alto sounds so warm. Since it's everything the tenor is, I'm getting one of them too.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by MRFIXIT
          (19 posts)

14 years ago

Back to the question, for doubler, in your price range, get a Yamaha or better yet, the Vito stencil version. They are available from families in most areas when their kid quits or graduates, the keywork is modern, the intonation is better for a secondary instrument, and unless something is wrong, it will be the easiest responding horn in the price range.

Reply To Post