Saxophone Forum

by lara70
(1 post)
14 years ago

Vintage Conn Saxophone

I have a Conn saxophone with Elkhart Indiana engraved on the bell. From what I can gather of the engravings on the back the serial # might be A M173087 H Any ideas how old it is or what type? It is in very good condition as well as the case. All the pads look fine. It is silver in colour (not sure whether plated) It did have other engravings above the serial # which looks like: PAID L(?) EC 3.1914 11199(?)54 I am not planning on selling it, but would like to know a little about it. If anyone could help that would be great.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Vintage Conn Saxophone

By serial number it looks like 1926, but the Mseries is listed as 1934. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on that for you. The saxophone is an alto (Eb) but it is constructed to play tuned to High pitch (that's what the A and the H before and after the serial number mean). Low pitch is the standard today, so this instrument will not play well with modern instruments, though it might do fine with other high pitch instruments! The other engravings are most likely: PA APLD For DEC 3, 1914 along with the Patent number. The same number and date is on most (if not all) Conn saxophones of the period.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Vintage Conn Saxophone

Oops! Mseries refers to models such as 6M, 10M, etc. So I would say your horn was built in 1926!

Reply To Post