Saxophone Forum

by tempomaster
(36 posts)
14 years ago

Reed Strength

What is the major advantage, or reason, for going to a higher strength reed. Why would a number 4 be better than a 2.5? I remember during my college days (long ago) the push was to play with the greatest reed strength you were capable of blowing???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Reed Strength

For some people it's a very childish competition. Play what sounds best at all dynamic ranges and across the complete range of the horn.

Reply To Post

1. by adetenor
      (68 posts)

14 years ago

Difficult to sum up in less than10,000words. The length of time you have played, to an extent will give an indication as to the strength of your chops. Really pointless playing harder reeds than you can handle. Your choice of m.p, is of paramount. Correct combo of m.p/reed....is more important to a developing player than what make of horn. Providing it blows free and the intonation is IN....dont worry about it. Concentrate on getting that, findingthat combo. more.....

Reply To Post

1. by adetenor
        (68 posts)

14 years ago

As a player develops,he will move up through the strengths. It is knowing when to stop. Real hard reeds just dont sound good, unless you know how to use them. I know good players who never go above a 2. It suits their m.p. and playing style both. My advice.....find your combo. and stick at it. I have only ever heard Scott Hamilton play his link. Nobody today plays one better. As for his choice of reeds....#6....joking...i dunno. Stick with it dude....later

Reply To Post

2. by adetenor
        (68 posts)

14 years ago

As a player develops,he will move up through the strengths. It is knowing when to stop. Real hard reeds just dont sound good, unless you know how to use them. I know good players who never go above a 2. It suits their m.p. and playing style both. My advice.....find your combo. and stick at it. I have only ever heard Scott Hamilton play his link. Nobody today plays one better. As for his choice of reeds....#6....joking...i dunno. Stick with it dude....later

Reply To Post

1. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Note to self......you may be laid up but these posts.......really. Waffle, waffle....Boring......sorry.

Reply To Post

2. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Note to self......you may be laid up but these posts.......really. Waffle, waffle....Boring......sorry.

Reply To Post

3. by tempomaster
          (36 posts)

14 years ago

not at all boring to me...I truly appreciate the feedback and it helps me out a lot.

Reply To Post

4. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks man....if i can help...cool. My pleasure.

Reply To Post

5. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks man....if i can help...cool. My pleasure.

Reply To Post