Saxophone Forum

by ross
(20 posts)
20 years ago

1950 something Dolnet

Anyone else playing an old Dolnet.....? Bought mine used in High school in the 50s...... Got a bit more serious a few years ago after retiring, and started playing bar jams / guitar bands etc. Use a Jumbo Java and love the thing.... Any like minded players out there....? Ross

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: 1950 something Dolnet

I don't have an opinion on Dolnet except that I have a super old Dolnet mouthpiece for my bari that is ugly as heck from poor handling but sounds pretty nice. Sort of a Soloist design to it as far as I can tell. Does yours have the octagon lig? Just wondering if that's a Dolnet thing. BUT, I am a BIG fan of Jumbo Javas. I play 55's on both alto and tenor now. I really like the high baffle/large chamber design. They cut when you push it without killing the mid-low end richness like the Dukoffs. (Not to mention they play great right out of the box unlike Dukoffs). JJ's play loud without hurting my own ears like some jazz pieces do.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

I like the dolnet art-deco styling. I've seen a couple of images of Bel Aire baritones that have caught my eye as a nice solution to fulfill my desire to posess a professional Bari for very little cost, considering. Dolnets have a nice repuation for classical work, are well built, but have been reputed to have some intonation issues, a few correctable mechanical issues, and don't find much favor in modern music settings (Don Byas notwithstanding).

Reply To Post

1. by ross
        (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Johnson I probably don't have a great ear, but am getting fewer complaints from fellow jammers these days. I believe the fidelity, lipability, and intonation in general has improved massively as the various leaks were addressed..... It improved more as my reed filing improved.... I did have the horn modified to better hold down G#, and there have been no more problems there. Ross

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

ross, that sounds great! Please go and tell me what you thing about Dolnet as I'm always interested in peoples opinions on the more esoteric horn manufacturers.

Reply To Post

2. by ross
          (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Johnson That would be easier to answer had I experience with other horns...... And a comarison would only be fair if each horn were similarly maintained. It's likely that student horns would tend to have more leaks because of less informed owners. Besides my low D observation, my Dolnet tends to stop voicing from palm E on up, when performing.... (Loud guitar bands) The "fix" is to blow less hard and get closer to the mic for those notes.... It's less of a problem with just the right reed..... I'd assumed that it was just the nature of the beast, and not a Dolnet problem/. Any thoughts or suggestions. Ross

Reply To Post

2. by ross
        (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Maniac The horn came with a chrome lig. that has long since broken. I now use either a Rovner or a brass two screw type. I can't tell by listening, which one is on.... I went to the Jumbo for the advertised volume, as jamming with guitars, I often couldn't hear myself using my old C*. (Wasn't disappointed) My biggest problem is getting a low D to voice quietly. It'll voice easily every time if leaned on, but won't play as quietly as the other low notes. The horn is pretty well airtight, and plays well from low Bb to Alt C#...... It's nice to hear that someone else likes them, as experimenting with the various others, would cost a fortune. Ross

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah - I've been around the block and back and forth from the bank trying different mouthpieces. I find the Selmer metal jazz pieces to be good jazz pieces, too. But I find the full size of a hard rubber piece to be more familiar and comfortable as I have a legit background. I'd like to try a /0 hard rubber Berg sometime. Especially on bari. Looked at a new one yesterday, but couldn't justify the $168.

Reply To Post

3. by ross
        (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Maniac I actually own two JJs. When I damaged my short facing 55, I replaced it with a long facing 75.... I have since cleaned up the 55, and have trouble telling them apart ....performance wise...... What would you expect the difference to be.....? Ross the curious..

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

The 75 should have a slightly larger tip opening. Lay the pieces table down on a table and put the tips together - you should see that one opening is "taller" than the other. The Vandoren website does describe in some detail the size differences. The top opening is one facet, the table curve is another. I thought the 55's had a longer facing curve with the 75 a medium curve, which can subtly change low end response. Generally, the longer the curve, the "fuller" and easier the low end comes out. A long curve can make altissimo a little harder than a short facing curve. Long to medium might be difficult to discern a difference. A lesser tip opening with a longer curve plays like a more open piece. This is the case for Larry Teal pieces. On alto, the LT's are open around 0.058"-0.060", which is rather closed for alto, BUT it as a long curve, so it plays more fully than a comparably tipped S80, for example.

Reply To Post

1. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you so much for that information Maniac. You're right about the facing lengths....I had them reversed. Also, my two biggest problems are, "voicing a quiet low D" (with one group) And getting enough volume above palm E (with the other group)... You are the first person to suggest a possible cure for both, and I might already own the parts..... Gotta go try them out with that in mind...... Thanks again. Ross

Reply To Post

2. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hmmmmm.......Well I tried both and focussed on my weakeast points, but was unable to hear a "real" difference.... However I've been interchanging reeds between the two pieces......I'm going to try filing some for just the 55, ( softer for quiet lows ) and some others for the 75 in the rock situation. It'll take awhile, but I'll let you know..... How bout ligatures.... .I went to Rovners for the gentle grip, but sometimes have trouble getting a good seal......... What do you think of the Francois Louis Ligature.. The single screw, pushing straight up, should give a very poitive grip.... Any thoughts.....? Ross

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

To me, reed variation more affects tone and response than which lig is holding it down - for the most part. I like Rovners because of their ease of use, but you have to be careful not to get too close to the vamp or overlap the vamp or you can kill the response. (sometimes that's a desired effect, but not normally). I use them on SATB and haven't found anything else to make a whole hill of beans difference. I'm not good enough for it to matter, I suppose. I do really like the Otto Link STM or Strathone Ajustotone type lig with the single vertical screw - so long as it is threaded finely enough to get a decent grip. I have an old Selmer lig that has a similar design. I do like the response from those types of ligs. The Rovner Eddie Daniels and Bonade ligs (with the little rails) hold the reed similarly. I've not tried Vandoren's Optimum lig, but it appears to have a similar type of directional force on the reed. If you're not getting a good seal, it is possible that the table of your mouthpiece isn't truly flat, which I've noticed with modern machined hard rubber mouthpieces. I think it's not so much a matter of design, but more a matter of contraction after machining that causes this phenomenon. I reface mouthpieces, so I'm not bashful about flattening the table if it needs it, but you can really screw up a mouthpiece easily if you make the wrong move or don't do it evenly. So I do like the single vertical screw ligs, though I use standard Rovners as well.. I don't know if shelling out the bucks for a Francois is worth it over paying a mere $15 for a Bonade inverted lig. If you go after the single screw lig, again - make sure it's finely threaded enough that you can secure the reed properly. If it's too coarsely threaded, you'll be muscling the screww too much based on my experience with several diferent kinds. I had one on a Wolf Tayne piece that was very coarse and very difficult to use.

Reply To Post

4. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Maniac You're forcing me to think...... I too had noticed the table depression on the JJs.... For that reason, mount ligs. as close to the beak as possible, assuming better seal...... The Rovners are too big to fit at that point, so I use a heavy piece of leather between lig. and reed to take up the slack...... However that has the lig. and leather pad covering the first eighth inch of vamp...... I'd never considered a dampening effect..... I'll look for those other lig. makes you mentioned... It's the vertical push that seems most useful, rather than the tubes and wires.... I'll also try mounting the Rovner further up the table and see if I can hear a difference... I've since worked up some reeds for both the 55 and 75, and keep them separated.......Logic says there must be some improvement........ Even if it's just a placebo, I'll be playing with a bit more confidence.....: I also use Java reeds for both styles of playing.... Any thoughts on that? What is the SATB you refer to.....?

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the tip on adding leather! That would really help for more slender pieces or when you place it higher on the mouthpiece. I use Java 3 1/2 on soprano for legit. It took me a long time to find one that gave me an ultra rich tone that wasn't dead. Call me a hack if you want, but I use BARI plastics most of the time unless there's a certain tone concept (for a solo, for example) that requires cane. To me, it's more about the resultant sound than what gear I use to attain it. I've done lots of saxual experimentation and a little dumb luck to end up where I have with my gear. Some mild bell-muting takes the "synthetic edge" off, if necessary. By "SATB", I'm speaking of my soprano, alto, tenor, and bari horns. For the record, I play a C-Melody on occasion, but I'd rather get used to on-the-fly transposition on tenor. I like that Vandoren's mouthpieces are wide enough to accomodate the width of just about all reeds. On some mouthpieces, I notice that the rails "undercut" the reed width which can make for uncomfortable lip pinching and odd response. So also make sure that your reeds aren't too wide for the lay, and if they are, sand down the sides (GRADUALLY!). Only after correcting the width, should someone go after the face of the reed, itself.

Reply To Post

6. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hmmmmmm........ Oh well, It's been a long time coming, but I'm beginning to realize it may be the horn........ The low D remains crappy, even with the dedicated mouthpieces.......so I'm going out to try some new horns....... Decided to rent a modern student horn and get the feel of that....... If it's better, then I'll have some experience with a modern horn to compare the others...... This is a gloomy evening indeed. Ross

Reply To Post

7. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

glass half full...

It's gloomy because you've found that you can outplay your horn? Sounds like progress!

Reply To Post

8. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Re: glass half full...

Hi Maniac You're right of course, but after fifty years, I'm a bit attached.... Actually tried a Yamaha 23......And first observation was improved intonation....It's excellent..... However it seems to be weak up high, and I couldn't get much from altissimo......But a couple of hours is not a fair trial...... I'll know better in a week or so..... ( I took my old horn to jam last night ) Ross

Reply To Post

9. by SelmerParisPassion
            (59 posts)

20 years ago

Ugh. Never found a Yamaha I've liked... so nasal... :P (hence my s/n) Anyways, on the Dolnet topic, www.saxpics.com/dolnet/index.htm I think that might help a bit...? Christie J.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

10. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

I'm not totally crazy about the newest dumping of student Yamahas, but I've acquired an appreciation for some of the older ones. Very true, though. The Yamaha tone is somewhat "Vanilla" compared to Selmer's "French Vanilla" and Keilwerth's "Rocky Road", but I've come to like the clean slate that Yamaha provides for me to develop the sound I want with mouthpiece/reed/embouchre selection.

Reply To Post

11. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Physics is everywhere...... It turns out that My Setup, can cause that D warble on either horn........ So armed with Maniac's "don't get the lig too close to the vamp" My observation that farther back makes for a lousy seal....... Rico's web information about "French file cut reeds" being easier in the bottom end. And the observation that a cheap two screw lig. can grip closer to the vamp than a Rovner........ And a pair of rubbery lips from playing too long.......I've made some progress.... Varying amounts of the above, is not only improving my D warble, but feels like the whole range is brightening..... It's like starting all over........But better..... Thanks christie so much for that web site.....I feel less like a nut bar........ It'll take awhile to figure out what the new "normal" will be, but I'll keep you posted. Ross

Reply To Post

12. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've got one more idea for the warbling. Sometimes this is caused by a design flaw or pad leak, but it can also be caused by a mouthpiece that isn't fitting tightly near the opening of the neck. If there's a gap there - even a slight one, it can cause certain notes - usually around low D, low C, and below. So one last trick... wrap the very end of your neck cork with a few rounds of teflon tape and see if the warbling continues. If the warbling goes away, you should have the neck cork replaced with a nice new one that can adapt to the mouthpiece. If a neck cork is used for a long time by a mouthipece with a slightly smaller bore at the neck tip, when you try one that fits looser at the neck tip you can get this phenomenon. The mouthpiece might be fitting tightly at the back end of the mouthpiece, but if the neck tip on the inside isn't tight enough, you can get warbling.

Reply To Post

13. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks maniac I'll be back at it later tonight, and start with the teflon... I'm still experimenting with the mouth piece / reed / lig. variables, and although It's still a work in progress, lots of progress has been made.... What's got me curious though, is that the table and first part of the rails are flat.... Logic says that the reed would be stationary there... Compaired to the vibrating tip...... But filing the reed that far back DOES have an affect, as does moving the lig. farther back...... What physics must be involved.....? Ross

Reply To Post

14. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Can this be real.....?

Hi All Well, no room for teflon.....Tight all the way....... However, I've moved back to lighter reeds, and finding that a cheap two screw lig mounted further back works better...... Surprisingly, not only has the change improved the warble problem, but it seems to have increased alt. volume.....? Seems counter intuitive..... Ross

Reply To Post

15. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Can this be real.....?

I have found that certain kinds of reed cuts can tend to warble at the low end. A traditional "V" shaped heart to the reed seems to be fairly stable whereas a straight profiled heart can sometimes tend to warble. Not always. I think that the "V" heart allows the reed to play at the lower frequencies with more ease. This is a phenomenon at pp and p that goes away as you play into mf and above. It's a matter of overcoming or blowing through the instability. I took a look at a kid's horn the other day that the parents said "he plays so loudly". Turns out his bis key wasn't closing properly from the lower stack, so he was blowing through the pad leak which was quite bad. Between his bis and G# having leaks big enough for a small rodent to pass through, I'm suprised he was able to play it at all. The parents were finally able to remove their ear plugs.

Reply To Post

16. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Switching Lovers

Hi all.... After spending a pivotal weekend with the borrowed Yamaha and a tuner,I've decided it's time for a new horn..... Lots of help from several corners including Maniac, but an old Yamaha 61 or 62, is the new target lover. Can't believe that I'm giving up after all these years, but even the 23 has my old Dulnet beat in many areas, and any loss of tone, will be masked by the screaming guitars...... Ross

Reply To Post

17. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Switching Lovers

Hey, Ross - 61's and 62's are safe bets. Even older 23's can really hold their own, though I'm not terribly crazy about the newer ones. Ed

Reply To Post

18. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

One week later

Hi all... This has been an excellent site for my musical education..... I've since upgraded my crappy tuner to a good analog type....Seiko....It turns out to be much less frustrating in general, and particularly for altissimo and the bottom few notes... At any rate, I was inspired to take a cloer look at the Dulnet, and have since been shimming and adjusting, and rediscovering the tone and volume I'd given up.. Perhaps the old girl will be going out to play tonight..... Ross

Reply To Post

19. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: One week later

There's nothing like breathing life back into a horn that means something to you.

Reply To Post

2. by stutrane
          (15 posts)

20 years ago

i used to play an old Dolnet, from that site, it was a 52-55 model. It had a great sound, but the intonation was way off- I thought I could lip it in, but found a better horn when I upgraded to my Mk VI. Actually, I still have that horn- anyone want to buy it? I've also got the original mouthpiece somewhere.... hmm, I may have to go find that....

Reply To Post

1. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Stu Well it's another other week later, and the shimming continues..... It's far and away better pitched now, thanks to the new meter.... The rental is due back in a couple of days, and for the time being, I'm going to just play the old Dolnet and see what happens. As for buying another, do you live near Southern Ontario....? Ross

Reply To Post

2. by ross
            (20 posts)

20 years ago

Tweaking intonation

Hi all.... The meter said, that the bottom four notes on my tenor, were sharp 15 - 25 cents compared to the stack keys...... I've bumpered the offenders closed to the point of barely playing, and opened the stack keys pretty much to the max, but would like to either flatten the loweres more, or sharpen the uppers..... Any suggestions, or is that all she wrote....? I suppose increasing the height of the lowere tone holes would work, but probably more effort than I'm up for. Ross

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Tweaking intonation

Sounds like you are close. Could be a matter of mouthpiece or embouchre at this point. The bell keys shouldn't be nearly closed, though the open heights can sometimes take care of tuning down there. When you jump from the bell keys to their middle and higher octave counterparts, do they sound one octave apart? Try some scale and arpeggio exercises to see if you can get used to the feel.

Reply To Post

1. by ross
                (20 posts)

20 years ago

You're right again maniac... My lip was part of the problem.....Wish I'd bought a decent tuner ten years ago..... At any rate, the old horn and I are friends again, and I suspect that in the future, I'll be spending a lot more time playing against the meter. Ross

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
                (600 posts)

20 years ago

What do you think of the Jumbo Java? I've heard a few guys I know play them around the city, and man, those things could peel the wallpaper right off the wall.

Reply To Post

3. by ross
                (20 posts)

20 years ago

I play mostly guitar oriented bar jams, usually get drowned out, so bought it for the volume..... It delivered, but besides a medium C*, have never played anything else, so I'd make a lousy judge. Ross

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
                (984 posts)

20 years ago

I use Jumbo Java x55 on alto and tenor when appropriate. They can really scream, but the tone stays full when playing quietly - which is more where I like to spend my time anyways. They have a high baffle, but a fairly open throat, so the tone character is still full - unlike Dukoff D chambers which "choke the tone". I should make some .wavs to pass along.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
                (930 posts)

15 years ago

The Jumbo Java is a great mouthpiece.......Rosie
                Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by chalazon
                (547 posts)

15 years ago