Saxophone Forum

by Jack Cici
(87 posts)
20 years ago

PLAYING OVERTONES ON SAXOPHONE

i woukd like to know how to play overtones on saxophone, any info will be much appreciated, thancks, david

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxman2200
    (64 posts)

20 years ago

Re: PLAYING OVERTONES ON SAXOPHONE

It's hard to explain, you don't move your embouchure just make adjustments in your throat. I suggest getting with a private instuctor to help you out though. it's one of those things thats just easier to do in person.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

20 years ago

ooo, i've been trying and trying to play overtones on my alto, but i just can't do it!! my teacher said the horn I was playing had an effect on it cuz i have a really cheep beginner horn, and he said the mouthpiece (selmer C*) made it slightly harder.. a song in jazz band has the really high A as the last note, but i cant play it

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
        (55 posts)

20 years ago

for overtones, start w/ playing the whole G scale 1 octave w/out using the octave key. then move up the scales, (next would be Ab, then A, Bb, B, and so forth) until you can play the entire range of the horn w/out the octave key. if you can do this, then you will know basically how to produce an overtone. from then on, it's all a matter of how much throat variation to apply. its easier to explain in person, but maybe you'll be able to figure it out on your own. just be sure to not tighten your lips, or clamp your jaw down on that mouthpeice. maybe that helps somewhat, Joel

Reply To Post AIM