Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

Vandoren V-16????

got a bit of a problem.. right now im playin with a 3 and a half vandoren java, its good, but it seems a bit weak, and i know im not ready to step it up to a 4.. i tryed one of my friends v-16 in a 3 and half, and it seemd like "dud" if you will.....i played from 3 to about 9 tonite, and at 3, is when it was a "dud"..then at about 5 or so, the thing played absolutely perfect, my tone was thick, and rich, and it projected perfectly.. the question is..is that how all v 16s are?? im thinking of switching, as long as i know that im not buyin junk, and all the reeds need a day or so to break in to their full potental.. thoughts....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Vandoren V-16????

V-16s are stiffer than Javas. I find them rather consistant on my setup

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea, it was a lot stiffer, forcing me to support a lot more..but once i played it for awhile it "broke in" and still held its stiffness and whatnot, but it played like a dream..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

On your legit piece, right? If you can play more than a 3 1/2 well on your jazz piece, you need a bigger chamber. Bird played a 5 on what would be a 7* or 8 in Meyer or Otto Link, but he was a freak of nature. The only downside to playing with a reed as thick as a 5, is that I can guarenee you that you can not play a pianissimo low D, and not have that hissing airy sound. For how much richer it makes your middle and upper register, it takes away from the lower portion. I play a 4 in legit. Any higher for me and low notes aren't as airtight.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea, on my legit..im not a big fan of my jazz piece, im buyn another one or i might try to be lazy and make due with my legit piece..im borrowing my schools metal meyer 6m, i dont particularly like it, the sound is too open and i cant control how i play.. i might go down to a 3 for a v 16, im gettn a bit of a airy sound when i play pretty much anything below Bb concert.. well see..

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Oh yeah, definetly switch to a hard rubber piece on alto. There is nothing more obnoxious than a metal m/p on an alto(with a few exceptions).

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

what do ya suggest for a jazz piece?? right now, my legit concert band type piece is a selmer c*, not too many people care for it, but it works very well for me.. i been trying that with my jazz playing for awhile, and its doing ok, the only grip i have is i dont know if this is my fault, the reeds fault, or hte pieces.. but if im playin a scale type rythem, going up and down and whatnot, everything is even, but right when i go towards altissimo, and like 3 notes below, i guess i should just say my concert Eb, thats when it gets troublsome..it screams out, like 3x louder, and fuller, and cutting than anything else..i think it sounds really good, but if im playing with a whole band its not fitting in at all.. but any suggestions??

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, a good jazz piece on alto for highschool's a Meyer or Otto Link. I personally prefer Otto Link, and I play a link, but students usually go more to the Meyer. If you've been playing a metal piece, then am I correct in saying that you can't push your C* enough in jazz? Also, with a hard rubber jazz mouth piece, you'll have way more control and be able to get more expression into your playing. As far as sizes...If you've been on a metal mouthpiece, you should have no problem playing Meyer 6 or an Otto Link 6* or 7. Basically, with Otto Link the * means half size in the chamber, so it would be either a 6.5 or 7. Also, both of these are under a hundred bucks, so they are quite affordable. It might take a few weeks to a month to get used to the new m/p, but once you do, your jazz tone should be better than ever.

Reply To Post

4. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea, i can push the c* to a certain point and it gives out on me..i probably just cant get enough wind through it.. what happens is in playn a moderate funk tune, or a swing tune, and as im blowin ill like, jump octaves cuz im blowin my wind so fast and full, and supported that it does things i dont want it to do.. so ill look into an otto since im not havin too much luck with the meyer.. lata

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Actually, it's not your fault you can't push that C*, it's that the chamber is too small. The chamber I would guess is comaparable to a 4* link, so yes, it will give out on you in jazz. Also, there is a different concept to pushing air through a jazz piece like a link, that your teacher can probably help you with. You have to focus on blowing the air through the piece into the end of the neck, lke it's going to keep going straight. That's how I look at it.

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

20 years ago

It's not the air that's different. You should be able to use the same amount of air to get what you want on any mouthpiece. The difference is the support. You have to push more with your diaphram to make the reed vibrate at the correct speed. You're not changing the amount of air, just the air speed.

Reply To Post