Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
20 years ago

Keilwerths

alright, so i've narrowed down my alto sax search to keilwerths now, since the selmer reference is over the price limit. I really like a warm and dark sounding horn, and i've been immediately directed to keilwerth by a bunch of people (and i've tried a couple of them too). I called SaxForte, and we talked about numerous saxophones, and Matt said that keilwerth and yanigasawa would probably be the 2 horns with the tone i like. so anyway, i was wondering what models i should buy if i were to get a keilwerth, what you think of them, and where to get one for a good price. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sikeoforce
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Keilwerths

hey man, can' t write much now, but i too am looking for a new saxophone, and i think the best one to go for is the keilwerth SX-90R. It has optional black nickel plating and gold hardware. There have been a lot of improvements to the keilwerth horns that you won't find on any other horn. The best place by far i've found for pricing is Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD. I don't know where you live, but that place is awesome.... It has something like 4 stories of just music, and rooms devoted solely to saxes, drums, strings, etc... Hope that helps.... Also if Yanagisawa, then go for the T991 its also a force to be reckoned with.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

i dont know what chucks YOU went to but i remember the bottom floor being a mess its terrible just bad guitar selling well better then everywhere else... but band accessories down there are terrible the store has a poor payment style down there no computers all hand done ineffective and lacking in stock BUT! on the second of what i believe is the only other floor is a whole different story if you know someone i go to roger because my teacher is down with him they actually help you and care about you and they have alot very personable and they can order whatever you want and give discounts like mad however they do have another store right next door with recording and DJ equipment but yea come to DC and go to chucks first floor trash second floor great

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

hey, kielwerths are wonderful horns, but be careful, with hand made horns, you need to try a few out because they vary from horn to horn.. depending on your price range you can get a few different keilwerths.. Ex-90: about 1500 bux Sx-90: about 2000 bux Sx-90R ( rolled tone holes, awesome innovation): around 2500 i have a yani, and love it, but a sx 90r compared to a yani 901, there is no comparison.. hope i helped..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by k7michal
      (34 posts)

19 years ago

I just got my Keilwerth Tenor SX-90, and it goes perfectly with my Otto link MPC. Fast action, ease of breath and it covers top to bottom registers better than some selmer's I've tried.

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

20 years ago

thanks! yeah, i guess they're all in my price range. my parents made it very clear that my sax can't cost over 3200 bux. i really liked the yani i tried, but i've also gotten some negative comments on them. um...what are rolled tone holes? thanks again, Kara

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

Rolled tone holes have traditionally been where a tonehole is drawn from the body and the top of the drawn cylinder is twisted over itself to form a rounded top to the tonehole chimney. The theory is that this gives pads greater life because the pad hits a broad, rounded surface instead of a straight piece of drawn bore metal. There are also problems with rolled toneholes: in increasing the area the pad touches, it makes pad alignment a little more vital as the pad isn't accepting as much pressure. Greater surface area where the pad touches the leather can also contribute to pad sticking issues. So rolled toneholes are really a tradeoff in design. They sound cool, but to me they are an expensive novelty. That said, Keilwerth doesn't use the traditional method of drawing in rolling it's toneholes. Rather, it draws stright toneholes and solders a rolled top onto it. I've heard of special problems that ends up with the "rolled" Keilwerth hole surface being left horribly warped by their manufacturing methods, causing difficult to adjust leaks.

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

..... girl your lucky..when i decided i needed a new sax my mom said it couldnt be any more then 2000, and i had to pay nearly half of that.. yea, rolled tone holes are just htat, the top of the chimney thing is rolled. and i question wether or not the one guy is right about his information on the way its gone about..my sax teacher has a kilwerth tenor and i looked at it, and it seems like it has been pressed down so it rolls, not pressed on..ill hafta look into that, thats kinda interesting.. and yea, the keys do tend to stick more..but not all the keys, the main stick problem keys on any sax are basically made a lil worse, but they make for super quiet action happy hunting (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 10/23/2004 12:33:47 PM)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, I would agree that the the top-of-the-line Kielwerth is better than the 901, but have you tried the 991? 992? 9933? Make sure and try them all first. The 9933 maybe be expensive at saxforte, but Woodwind Brasswind has it for 33 or 34 hundred, less than the ref, and I believe Saxforte matches and or beats prices, if you're loyal to that particular store.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------- but they make for super quiet action -------------------------------------------------------------- yeah, that sounds right.

Reply To Post

1. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

20 years ago

Have you looked at the Selmer Series III?

Reply To Post

1. by PsuSax
            (25 posts)

20 years ago

Yani 991s are far superior to the 901 series. I've tried them both and have happily been playing on a Yani 991 about 8-10 hours a day for the last 5 years (God bless college!). The Keilwerth are great horns as well, beware of some of the keywork issues on the Keilwerths though. My buddy had one that had adjustable palm keys so you can set them to your own height. Sounds great huh? Not so much, they don't stay tight after a couple months of serious playing and your palm keys start moving around. The sound out of Keilwerths is something else though. Very vibrant overtones because of the larger bore of the instrument, just a different sound compared to anything else out there right now. I'd say check out the Yani 991 and the Keilwerth SX90s and go based on comfort and ease of playing. They are close in price and definitely under your price range. Make sure you try a couple because all manufacturers have issues from time to time, although Yani and Keilwerth are fairly reliable in their construction. If you get a chance check out the new Yamaha Custom EXs (legit) and Customs Z (jazz). These horns are about the same price and worlds ahead in sound, far better then the troublesome Selmer Series IIIs.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, definetly a huge difference in the 901s and 991s. Am I the only one who is amazed by the 9933? I would agree that the Z is more narrowed to jazz, but I find the 875 EX to be quite versatile. While I usually just use it for legit, and a couple other saxes for jazz, I've put my jazz setups on it and found it to work quite well. It was though aimed more to the classical player, because of the features, I believe. So if you're doing both jazz and legit, don't shy away from the EX.

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
            (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, but i really dont like a bright tone. yamahas and the series III are known to be really bright. i really liked the Yanigasawa i tried at Rayburns (i forget what model it was....=( ), and i really liked the Keilwerth i tried too. the unlaquered yamaha Z wasnt as bright, and i liked that one too..... i'm doing mostly jazz by the way too. i play trumpet in concert band and marching band. alto sax is for jazz band. i'm lead this year, and it really sux that i have a crappy horn cuz every1 can hear my every note....i really really need a horn thatz better than my beginner alpine(which is almost everything, lol). all the guys see me as the "little freshman girl who plays sax", so i gotta prove them wrong. but then again, district auditions are more legit.....

Reply To Post

4. by Kitch22
            (98 posts)

20 years ago

Maybe a Selmer II; they are supposed to much more dark than a III.

Reply To Post

5. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

20 years ago

i think the series IIIs were a mistake they fall apart pretty badly IMHO i wouldnt get one

Reply To Post

6. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

but Woodwind Brasswind has it for 33 or 34 hundred, less than the ref, and I believe Saxforte matches and or beats prices, wwbw will beat the price of your original site and Samash will beat those prices. because of the price drops at wwbw, the model your looking for might be less expensive than the samash price. they will match or beat it, and therefore, give you an even lower price.

Reply To Post

7. by zootspiker
            (13 posts)

19 years ago

YAS 875: I primarily play tenor (1959 MVI and a ser II) but have a YAS 875 alto I double on. I picked up a hard rubber Phil Barone New York M5 and what a difference: Fat & Lush. Lower register almost sounds like a tenor. Action is very crisp along with good intonation.
            Michael Krechevsky
            King Silversonic Tenor

Reply To Post

8. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

what's the difference between the 875 and the 875ex?

Reply To Post

9. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The 875ex has something extra. That's what the ex stands for. I haven't a clue what it is. Check out the Yamaha website.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by saxomaniac
            (14 posts)

19 years ago

I'll throw out my ideas too... I'm playing on a Selmer SA80 series II. I like it a lot, seems to be able to transition very well in various styles and tones, BUT I am a new fanatic of Rampone & Cazzani. Talk to Mathew at Sax Forte about that one. They are known to be more fat and dark in the tonal colors. Rampone makes two different models, the R1 and R1 Jazz. The jazz is the same as the R1, but made out of "red brass" instead of "yellow brass." The "red" has a high copper content, making it more dark, and the bore is, as I understand, even larger than the Keilwerth, making it even fatter and "darker." I've got the R1 silver curved soprano that I'll NEVER EVER try to replace with anything. I absolutely love it! I like the fact that I can make it brighter when I want to (it's the yellow brass) but usually it's WAY fat and full bodied, as dark as I want it to be. That's my opinion... and the only R&C I've played is the curved soprano (superior instrument to any curved model out there as far as I'm concerned!) Hope that helps you... and let us all know if you should ever try an R&C alto. I'd like to know how they are.

Reply To Post

11. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

aren't those expensive

Reply To Post

12. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

okay, i checked those out and they're not that bad when it comes to price. it only sucks that people that don't live in italy have almost no chance of ever being able to try one, unless they're on a trip and run by the place.

Reply To Post