Saxophone Forum

by CustomZplayer
(15 posts)
19 years ago

Yamaha Custom Z

Hey everybody I just ordered a Yamaha Custom 82Z Alto. I havn't got it home yet, but im just wanting to know everyones opinion on them. Thx alot, Darren

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GordonGekko
    (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yamaha Custom Z

Great horn, I have a silver plated Z myself. You will really enjoy it!

Reply To Post

2. by nad1rn
    (37 posts)

19 years ago

best .......horn ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (after the Mark 6...of course)

Reply To Post AIM

3. by GordonGekko
    (27 posts)

19 years ago

I wish I had a horn of that quality when I was in high school. I tried Selmers too, but just didn't care for them. With me, it's really not about the money- it's what I like. Also, there is a rebate going on right now where you can get a free flight case by ordering a Z and some other models from September through December. Check it out- it's a nice case and you can't beat the price. Regards, GG

Reply To Post

1. by CustomZplayer
      (15 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the info GG i will see if i can get it, I ordered the Black. if i get the case i will most likely put my yas-23 in it(its case is looking bad).

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Alto or Tenor? I heard that they are scary good alto's. In fact my favorite funk band's (AWB) sax player used a Custom Z alto. (P.S. what's with the name? How does it become Customized?) Let me know how it is and Mazel-Tov buying a new horn is better than getting a new car. PPS - What kind of set up do u have on the neck? Im curious because i have also heard that the type of mpc and lig u have makes an enourmous difference especially on that horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

My mistake. I just realized it's an alto. Haha. Sorry im tired and it's late. Congrads again let us know how it is

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

The Alto Z is a great intrument, one of the best Altos available in my estimation. I didn't like the Tenor Z quite as much. Great ergonomics and action, free sound with excellent response, sturdy feel, etc.

Reply To Post

3. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

I heard they really kick ...... I wish i had money for a good alto. I ultimately would want a vintage selmer but i was wondering where u go about looking into ordering custom Z's or like how you customize them Thanks for the input

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by CustomZplayer
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Hi everyone, My Custom Z came in today.... it blew me away! It is the best horn i have ever played. The response is great. Now i just have to find a good set-up for me. Any ideas I have .... Rovner Dark lig. Yamaha 4cm mpc Crappy ebay Jazz mpc

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

I would reccomend a vintage meyer mouthpiece with a Francois-Louis Brass/Silver Plated lig and Vandoren either Blue-Box or ZZ's. Congrads though! P.S. Where did you order it from/ set it all up?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by CustomZplayer
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

I bought it at wwbw. I had heard WWBW was bad for humidity but i looked anyway. The 82z was on backorder so I ordered one right away and today a got it fresh from the factory in plastic. I'll lookin to that setup but 4 now(sense im broke) i'll use the 4cm, Rovner dark and a vandoren Java

Reply To Post AIM

7. by CustomZplayer
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

I bought it at wwbw. I had heard WWBW was bad for humidity but i looked anyway. The 82z was on backorder so I ordered one right away and today a got it fresh from the factory in plastic. I'll lookin to that setup but 4 now(sense im broke) i'll use the 4cm, Rovner dark and a vandoren Java

Reply To Post AIM

8. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Javas are made almost exclusively for metal mpcs. Try a Blue box or ZZ

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

9. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Where do you guys get this stuff? First the Series II being a legit horn(ask any pro, it's not), and now this Java business. Listen, I used a Java playin hard rubber alto in the big bands just up until last year, when I started on the Alexanders. I played them for about 10 years, try others in between and always coming back to them. Do you just make this up as you go along, or what?

Reply To Post

10. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------- Where do you guys get this stuff? ---------------------------------------------------------------- Me Personally? I got the impression that the Series II would be a great legit horn for the following reasons: 1) I play mostly concert band and classical music, albiet not for pay. 2) I played the SeriesII and found that it would be a very good horn for my purposes. I found it dark, smooth, with very good keywork, intonation, and consistent tone. I played it side by side with a series III and I thought the Series II to be much more in tune with my concept of tone. To be fair, if I played more jazz or rock, I might have found the II to be better than the III for that as well. I mean, a good horn is a good horn, right? That said, our lead alto plays a III, she has a very good classical tone. --------------------------------------------------------------------- First the Series II being a legit horn(ask any pro, it's not) ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I find that statement strange. I believe I have conversed with a pro that has disagreed with your notion, and why would a pro be considered an authority on this? ---------------------------------------------------------------- and now this Java business ------------------------------------------------------------------ There I agree. There seems to be a bit of myth surrounding metal mouthpieces here.

Reply To Post

11. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah Golf wrong hobby here buddy. Javas are actually designed for narrower tips (hmm, what kind of mpcs have that? o right, Metal!) And secondly it depends on ur horn. We don't make this up.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Wrong hobby? I can guarentee I have played saxophone plenty longer than you have, and never have I heard the a Java reed is designed for a metal mouthpiece. Vandoren may have had in mind that a lot of people who use metal pieces, mostly rock tenors would favor the Java, and they may have tried to make it a little more agreable to that type of m/p, but to say that they were made specificly for metal pieces is plain ignorance.

Reply To Post

13. by nad1rn
          (37 posts)

19 years ago

unfiled rico jazz selects 3m try the selmer s80 mouthpiece

Reply To Post AIM