Saxophone Forum

by apoc7k
(20 posts)
19 years ago

About sopranos...

Well... I'll be frank and just say this, I want to play soprano, but I really dont know whats out there that would be a good one to get... obviously there will be people that will say Mark VI right off the bat, but I wanted to go a little deeper in the pile. Mark VI horns are good, but if i can find something that is also very good and a little bit more reasonable in both finding a nice one, and in price (i really dont want to spend $5000 trying to get "the one").

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

Re: About sopranos...

check keliwerth, yamaha and yanigasawa(please don't get a new selmer soprano>.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

Actually, I've heard a number of comments about the Mark VI sopranos, usually in the negative. Apparently, their keywork design was nowhere near as good as on the Mark VI tenors and altos. It was like the instrument was a 1930's holdover even when production stopped in 1980, according to what I've heard. Don't take that as gospel fact as I have basically passed you heresay. I've never seen a VI sop, but perhaps the moral of this story is that you should find a soprano that you *truley* like, and not settle for a horn because of it's nameplate. That said, I've heard that a lot of soprano players are quite satisfied by the Antigua Winds 586 and 590 series. Brand new, they can be had for about $1000

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah Jason's right about the VI sopranos. For whatever reason (Maybe because Henri Selmer didn't play soprano?) The Mark VI sopranos just don't compare to their alto and tenor counterparts. I have been hearing more and more praise from the new Yanis they are supposed to be among the best pro sopranos. IDK about Keilworth's though. I in general , while never having tried a soprano keilworth, i have not particularly liked their altos and tenors. But try a lot of Horns, some of the Yanis might be good and idk about the Cannonball Sopranos. Cannonballs are the ultimate Luck-Chuck because either you love or hate them for w/e reasons. Good luck and try MANY horns before you buy one!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Nothing Cannonball makes is good. The name should just be banned from the forum. I own the S9930 by Yanagisawa, and it's the best soprano I've ever played. Gold neck, lacquer bell and keywork, and sliver(not plated) body. I know for a fact Yanagisawa makes great sopranos. I don't know about Keilwerth though, I've only heard on played once in concert, and it was at a David Leibman concert, and he played it amazingly(but then it again, that was Dave Leibman). The Customs by Yamaha are very well made, but I know some players who have complained how the keys and rods bend easily.

Reply To Post

2. by Gumptious
          (40 posts)

19 years ago

sorry man, but what draws u to want to play soprano? i usually can't stand sopranos sound they make. and ive heard its hard to make a good even vibrato on them. thats one thing im not sure about im just throwing out something ive heard. but, as kenny g as an example that shouldn't discourage u from playing it.

Reply To Post

3. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

I have a number of the big name Sopranos in my collection, vintage and current production, and in all honesty, the best player among the is the Antigua Winds 582LQ. This horn is advertised as a computer copy of the Yani 991, sans the two piece neck and high G key, and I believe it. It plays as well as the Yani's I've played, and that is saying something. Dave Kessler at www.kesslermusic.com has them for $695.00 and you will be dumbfounded that such a great horn can be had new for so cheap. Should you want the dual necks and G key, they offer that in the 590 model for around $1,000.00. I encourage anyone in the market for a new Soprano to give them a try.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

Mark VI sops are ok. They are pro quality horns and have a nice sound. The intonation is not as good as modern horns and the left hand palm keys are awful. So on balance I would say for the money you are better off with any of the modern top of the line horns. I think Yanagisawa is currently the best bang for the buck but I think a person would be foolish to not try (in no particular order) yamaha, yanagisawa, keilwerth, and selmers top line horns.

Reply To Post