Replies

1. by nannerla
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: winston soprano

The Winston soprano saxes are pretty decent. I've played a couple Winston horns and I was impressed with them for the most part. I really can't say much about Olds. They used to make decent student-intermediate brass instruments (trumpets, cornets, trombones, French horns). They have very soft solder joints. I don't think they made saxophones until recently after the name was aquired by another company. I believe their saxophones are made in Taiwan. Basically an Asian copy of a Keilwerth. I'd recommend the Winston over the Olds. You should be able to get a Selmer/Buescher Alto for around the same price. They are a pretty good horn also. Of the cheaper horns, Moniques aren't so bad. I would avoid Schill/Helmke, Band Now, Laurel, and DC; very poor quality. Good Luck

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by nannerla
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

how about antiguas how are there sopranos

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Antigua Winds are about the same as Monique. They're better than some of the Asian horns, but they are definately a beginner sax. Take a look at this Keilwerth I found at Musicians Friend. www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bo/search/detail/base_pid/462901 They have some really good deals on a lot of their horns and carry a wide variety also. Check out www.wwbw.com too! Good Luck

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

I took a gander at a Winston soprano once. It was a crudely manufactured looking thing! Antiguas are very well regarded asian instruments, even amongst pros-having a much better reputation than Moniques in quality of manufacture, intonation, repairability, and tone. I wouldn't recommend anything that was widely advertised with the mouthpiece upside-down to anyone!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know, I've tried a couple Winston sopranos and a Winston Presidential tenor and I thought they played alright for the money. They're a lot better than some of the cheaper instruments I've seen. I didn't really see anything "crude" about them. They don't have the fancy engravings and heavy laquer that some of the other horns have, but the action is pretty good, and the horns feel pretty solid. The pads are much better on the Winstons than many of the cheaper horns that I have came across. I'd rather pay for features and quality in a cheap horn than fancy engraving and lots of laquer that deadens the sound! As for the Antigua and Moniques, neither one of them would be my recommendation. Between the 2 of them I see very little difference. They're both definately beginner models. Monique has improved their quality over the past few years from what I've heard. This is what I would recommend; my top choices in each price range. $4000 and up 1. Yanagasawa S9930 2. Selmer Model 50 $3000-$4000 1. Keilwerth SX-90 or JK-1320 2. Selmer Paris Series III 3. Yamaha YSS 875 $2000-$3000 1. Keilwerth JK-1300 2. Yanagasawa S 901, 991 3. Yamaha YSS-675 $1500-$2000 1. Selmer Super Action 80 2. Yamaha YSS 475 $1000-$1500 1. Keilwerth JK-1100 2. LA Sax LA-650 3. Jupiter 847 SG $500-$1000 1. Jupiter 547 GL 2. LA Sax LA 615 3. Vito 7133SS Below $500 Play it before you buy it or make sure they offer a trial guarantee! Another downside to these cheaper horns is that many of them are sold by ebay dealers, or online music stores like samash, musiciansfriend, wwbw or interstate music. So what happens when a key breaks or the instrument needs some adjusting? Where do you take it? The EM Winston 350 MW or GL looks like the best quality horn I've found for less than $500. The Moniques and Antiguas are ok. Be careful of horns in this price range.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by johnnyhicks
        (2 posts)

15 years ago

I've played a GL350 for a while now. I love it! For the money you can't go wrong.

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

15 years ago

winston gl350 is what i have been playing for 4 years now sunday in church, it plays fine, just not very powerful, part of that is me and mpc im using but have had no problems with it since i got it new. i paid 550.00 new.

Reply To Post