Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Ripped????????

Hi! When I was just entering intermediate band in the seventh grade (I'd only played for a year at that time and new next to nothing about the different kinds/brands of instruments) my band director made us all "step up" from our beginner horns to cannonball 98 knight series (supposedly a pro model) horns. My parents paid $3800 for it. Now that I am maturing and am only 4 chairs away from all-state I have noticed that my tone is beginning to plateau far away from where I want it to. My private instructor has told me that a lot of the time it seems like I am fighting the horn. I have long since felt that this is the case. Basically I want to know things: 1) Did I get ripped off due to my ignorance when I bought this horn? 2) Do you think my instrument is the cause of the problem? And 3) what do you think I could get for my current instrument?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by invocansax
    (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ripped????????

Bro, check for leaks, invest in a leak light...usually even the smallest leaks will not be seen by the naked eye. Check you mpc and reed setup as these things vary from horn to horn. and stop fighting guys...were here cause we love the horn right! Id just like to share that my wife actually gets jealous over my horns..what can i say these are my babies! you shouldnt have to "fight" your horn to make 'em sound. later..:)

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ripped????????

before you get excited, did you try anything to help your "fight with the horn" like different mouthpiece different reed different lig. check the horn for leak, even new ones aren't perfect there might not be anything at all wrong with it maybe just a adjustment as far as worth you prob. can get ballpark from steve goodsons website saxgourmet also consider your airway, how the mouthpiece meets your mouth, you know armature

Reply To Post