Saxophone Forum

by Altomom
(2 posts)
19 years ago

DC Pro Sax

Does anyone out there know anything about the DC Pro Sax The owner / designer claims it is as good as the selmer. His website is www.DCPROSAXOPHONES.com I am just a mom looking for a better Alto sax for my son. He now plays a student Conn. He wants a Pro or semi Pro. Help !!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by invocansax
    (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: DC Pro Sax

ill echoe all their sentiments. these "newer" horns that are all over the net do play in tune, some actualy have good intonation, and some are actually quite good, but when he develops his tone, his "voice" he will move on to another horn, might as well get him a good one now. i should know i play on a schill/helmke tenor and a yamaha yts-61 pro tenor. and i can say, while the helmke is quite good, the yamaha can go where the helmke cant. i would suggest conn. since i fear selmers are very expensive. Conn is the "classic" american horn! just dont get any made after the 50s. if you want a more modern horn, maybe a yamaha will do, they make the best student to pro horns.

Reply To Post

2. by BayviewSax
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't recommend them. Brand new and shiny, they play nice enough for an intermediate horn, but they wear out quickly and you'll fall out of love with the sound of the horn very quickly. They are the cheaper, lower-quality alternative to a cannonball. I'd recommend getting a vintage horn which is aesthetically unappealing and having it overhauled by a top-notch tech (like Tenor Madness, or if you can find one locally, even better).

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

How much are you willing to spend? I wouldn't reccomend the DC series either. I did a search for them on SOTW, and one user states that they have good intonation and finish, but they're going to upgrade to a "real pro" horn sometime soon. It depends what price range you're going for but for 1500-1600 you can get a Yamaha 62II, which is a good semi pro horn. If that's too much, I'd reccomend getting an Accent, which is an intermediate horn, but very good quality. Give us more information on what you want, there's a lot of people around here who can help you.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Do you want a new horn or a better horn? I think one of the best alto saxophones ever made was the Conn 6M. you can often find them on Ebay fairly reasonable. The Buescher 400 alto is also very nice and not too expensive. Martin, Selmer and King are also great vintage brands. You'll pay a little more for a vintage Selmer(Mark VI, or Super Action) or King (Super 20, Silversonic, Zephyr) than some of the others. In new horns, Yamaha and Keilwerth seem to be the best value. The newer Selmer Series II and III and the Reference horns are nice, but expensive. Overall, I'm not too impressed with their AS series and the cheaper Selmers. The Yamaha 62 II is one of the best altos for the money I've seen. I wouldn't recommend DC Series either. For a cheaper new horn, Jupiter isn't too bad. LA Sax makes a decent horn, and the EM Winston saxophones are alright.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Altomom
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions. I want a new horn. I have been researching and I will probably go with the Yamaha 62 II. This will be the last one I buy for him so it has to last a while. He is only in eighth grade but has made the district honor band for the past 4 years. So I promised him a new horn.

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

He should be very happy with the Yamaha, and it will serve him through College and beyond.

Reply To Post

3. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

Your a nice Mom! When I was in the 10th grade my Grandmother bought me a Mexi-Conn 7M Alto.

Reply To Post

4. by azn_seagull02
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

i wish i had a 62II ive been looking at those for a while. since you guys say thats good ill think about getting one.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

19 years ago

there should be more moms just like you God bless you for living up to your promise and congrats' to your son these people are giving good advice

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

The 62II is a good horn. Beautiful tone, Nice new fabric case, G1 neck, annhealed bell, awesome ergonomics. It really does do me well. I'm in eighth grade too, and it's a great horn, and will be a good choice. Just make sure you get a good price.

Reply To Post