Saxophone Forum

by Jango
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Reeds

What is the best way to prevent mildew or black mold from forming on reeds?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reeds

I've never had this problem before. Get a reed holder that compresses the tips of the reeds. LaVoz makes one that's really inexpensive, I think Vito does too. They're only a couple bucks each. Most importantly, store your sax in a dry place. Don't put it in a basement or a humid environment.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

The Vito reed guards aren't as good as the LaVoz, and they're nearly the same price, with the LaVoz being just a little bit more. Go for a LaVoz.

Reply To Post

1. by Jango
        (13 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you. I have the Vito ones. I read somewhere that a fellow recommended dipping the reeds in bleach or something similar. I can't find the article now. He was a pro and had quite a ritual he went through to preserve his reeds. I think he almost made his reeds from bare reed and they were well worth preserving since he put so much work into them. Thanks for the replys.

Reply To Post

1. by morandjp
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

DON'T PUT BLEACH ON YOUR REEDS!! YOU'RE GOING TO KILL YOURSELF!!! No, seriously, the best thing for a reed is to be in a cool, dry place. Vandoran makes a really nice reed guard. It's a blue case and holds four reeds. The cool thing is that it has a stickof charcoal down the center that absorbs any moisture that might remain on your reeds (after all, they're in your mouth). It's pretty cheap, I think $10.

Reply To Post

2. by senior
        (23 posts)

19 years ago

I keep 2 small water tight jars with my sax gear. In the first jar there is a mixture of Hydrogen peroxide ( available at any drug store) and water 50% mix. In the second, alcohol. When I am done playing, I put the reed into the first jar for just a couple of seconds, then rinse with plain water. Then I dip the reed in the second jar and wipe dry. Place the reed in a reed holder. This system will stop mildew and black mold from forming. The entire process take about 30 seconds of your time.

Reply To Post

3. by nad1rn
        (37 posts)

19 years ago

I have a Vandoren reed holder and it works really well

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I have one 3 Lavoz reed holders, (Tenor 2, Tenor 4, Clarinet 4) and they all seem to work fine. I also have a Vito Reed Guard for Tenor, and they work, but you have to be really careful. There is a rubber band that secures the reed in place, and that tends to chip the reeds more easily. It's much smarter to just spend an extra buck and purchase a LaVoz, they're really nice.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Make sure your case is clean. If you have an old, mildewy case, that fungus will make a playground of your reeds.

Reply To Post