Saxophone Forum

by wannaplaysax
(1 post)
19 years ago

Need help to get started.

Hi, I'm new here so please be gentle, I'm 47 yrs old no experience an want to learn to play the sax ( wanted to for years).My problem is what to buy, situation is I don't have a lot of money and I live in the UK. I have seen an AMATI AAS 22 alto which I may be able to get cheap would this be a good buy or not,I've done some reading on this site and have seen the usual recommendations but these choices are limited and expensive over here.Any replies would be appreciated and considered,I realise being in the UK may mean your help could be limited but thanks in advance for any replies

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mj_sax
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need help to get started.

Whatever horn you get depends on the cash situation...but try to get a decent mouthpiece...this will save you some frustration. - used? - make sure it plays, if you can have someone/anyone experienced play the horn for you...a little safer

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

ok, do yu read, do yu play any other instruments, will yu take lessons, can yu rent first, another words how serious are you? yu might rent and take a few lessons just to see if yu like it. if you have no musical expreience maybe yu don't have an ear and it's pointless. not everyone can tell when they make a mistake.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

since you're just beginning, i'd recommend renting a horn for the first couple of months. who knows...you could hate playing the sax... as said, you should probably invest ina good mouthpiece (i like the Selmer C*), ligature (rovner maybe?), and reed (Vandoren, LaVoz, Rico...there's so many....). In my case, I have a really cheap Alpine beginner horn, but a really nice setup, and my tone is pretty good. In the beginning you should take private lessons, especially so you don't develop bad habits by teaching yourself. Make sure you get good lesson books too... try Rubanks Beginner Method. Good luck! Kara

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

oh yeah, for buying a horn.... www.wwbw.com www.USAhorn.com www.giardinelli.com www.saxophones.co.uk (i'm not positive about this site...)

Reply To Post