Saxophone Forum

by joe812119
(18 posts)
19 years ago

touchy low c, c#

any advice would be great. i play tenor and am using a otto link hard rubber 7 star with a 2 and a half reed. my sax is a 1941 king cleveland and had it repadded last year. my problem is my low c c# d and b is fussy i have to warm up the sax for at least 25 mins. before i can hit these notes. and still sometimes not as smooth as i would like. any suggestions would be great. thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazaddict
    (41 posts)

19 years ago

Re: touchy low c, c#

Kinda quiet on this thread, eh? There are 3 things I can think of right off: 1) the fact that you had it repadded last year doesn't disqualify it from having developed a leak last week. Especially if C is warbly but Bb is solid. 2)different mouthpiece/reed setups can offer widely varying results. You can start cheap by changing the brand of reed, or try a synthetic. Take a peek on EBay for mouthpiece alternatives. FOr example, I used a Charles Bay that was similar in response and tone to a Link which I sold on EBay for a fraction of its retail price. 3)there is no substitute for long tone practice. Sigurd Rascher's Top Tones for the Saxophone not only gets into altissimo playing, but highlights the value of long tones within the "normal" sax range also. Best of luck

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

i have seen much talk recently about "reed prep" could this be part of the problem? esp. because of the "25 min." talked about makes me think it's the reed not the horn. even more if the reed is hard, exp. 3.5 - 4

Reply To Post

1. by SelmerParisPassion
      (59 posts)

19 years ago

My advice would be key clamps. I got some, and I freaking love them!!!!!! Low notes blow so easily I can play a pianissimo Bb without warming up for an hour and praying to god that it doesn't go funky... It keeps your horn in alignment much longer and also helps the pads seat better. Personally, I just use the ones for the f-d range and the Bb/B cups. You can pick these suckers up on ebay for 15-20 bucks. Good luck! Christie J

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by syrasax
        (75 posts)

19 years ago

SelmerParisPassion- What is a key clamp and how does it work?

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

it is 2 metal pieces w/ a stringer that has 3 conal shaped rubber stoppers?, on it. I bought a used kielwerth sx90r it came with the clamp I just dont know how to put the darn thing on. Some instructions please. Sorry if it is a bad description, best I could do.

Reply To Post