Saxophone Forum

by joford
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Conn sax - "MJ Kalashan 'The Yankee' New York."

Iv just bought this sax - a bit on impulse off ebay. Does anyone have any info about it? It hasn't arrived yet, but I have been told its serial number is 83674. It has a large stamp on the horn. So really, I just wanna know anything about it. When was it made, is it good? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn sax - "MJ Kalashan 'The Yankee' New York."

So this is apparently a Conn stencil? Without seeing the horn, I really couldn't tell you much about it. Most likely the serial number is a stencil serial number and would not coincide with Conn's numbers. According to Conn's serial numbers, the sax would have been made in 1922. Is it silver plated? Can you send me the link to the ebay ad? Thanks, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by joford
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7300415163 Great thanks! Try that link there... Yea, I have been told its a conn stencil. When i researched the name, all that came up was information on Conn. Thanks very much for your help, take a look and let me know what you think. Jo.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

Details of the horn pictured such as: Low C bow key wire guard design, the Chromatic right hand side F# spoon style key and the bell key wire guard method of attachment to the bell all point to this horn being a Buescher True Tone stencil horn, rather than a New Wonder Conn stencil, as you first suggested. This is somewhat less expected especially since you are in the U.K. In spite of the large number of American Jazz musicians who made their way to your shores since the 20's, not too many Bueschers are to be found there. It should be a great player.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Here is a link to Pete's SAXPICS site that shows the Buescher your horns is based on: www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/buescher/true_tone/alto/lacquer/example2/image10z.jpg

Reply To Post

2. by joford
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

thats brilliant, thanks! So, do you think thats pretty definate? And what date would this have been made? Very interested in its origin - it makes it all that more interesting dont you think. It arrives tomorrow.

Reply To Post

3. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Joford, I would say that you can be most confident that this horn is indeed a Buescher True Tone stencil horn. I don't have my references where I am located at present, so I can't lock down an exact date of manufactuer, however I am certain it is around the early to mid 1920's. I collect all makes of vintage horns, and favor Conn's, however I think that you are all the more fortunate that it turned out to be a True Tone, rather than a New Wonder series I. The Buescher True Tone is an excellent horn, and during this period, I think that the Buescher stencils were of a higher quality in general due to the fact that they were made more faithfully to the original designs and construction quality than a lot of other maker's Stencil lines. Your horn should turn out to be a superb player, with a wonderful sound. You might want to count on having to have this horn adjusted and possibly repadded by a good Sax Technician to get it into top form. Congradulations, and let us know how it turns out!

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, it's hard to tell from the pictures on the ad. This sax doesn't have rolled tone holes, but looks more like a Conn New Wonder than a Buescher True Tone to me. Even the engraving is similar to a New Wonder. The New Wonder and True Tone are almost identical except for a few minor differences. This horn was definately made in the early 20's; probably 1922-1924.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If it is engraved "Low Pitch" or LP on the back, it's a Buescher. If it only has an "L", it's a Conn. I'm not saying it's definately a Conn. If it had rolled tone holes, I'd think definately Conn, Saxismyaxe is probably right, but I wouldn't say for sure without a closer look. I think the intonation is better on the True Tones than the New Wonders. Sure looks to be in good shape!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I agree that its a Buescher and not a Conn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by joford
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

It has low pitch on the back, and below this is written : Pat. Dec.8.1914 (from what i can tell anyway) - not totally sure about the year. Thanks for all the feedback! Yea, you're right, a few pads need changing, but its in very good shape. Would love to know what the Pat bit above means though! Cheers!

Reply To Post

8. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

The Pat. Dec 8, 1914 stamp is there to comply with the use of the drawn tone hole process used to form the tone holes, under licence from the inventor: Flute manufacturer William Haynes.

Reply To Post

9. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

By the way, other manufacturers used the full spelling "Low pitch" in place of a simple "L" besides Buescher, such as H. N. White "King".

Reply To Post

10. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well I knew it was either a Buescher or a Conn. Conn always used just the letter "L" to indicate low pitch while the earlier Bueschers speller low pitch, as did a few others. Martin used LP I believe.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well I knew it was either a Buescher or a Conn. Conn always used just the letter "L" to indicate low pitch while the earlier Bueschers speller low pitch, as did a few others. Martin used LP I believe.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

12. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post Yahoo!

13. by joford
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

so its 1920 sax then. Also, one last question... Is it an original? I know a lot of copys were made around this time, I'd really love it to be an original. I paid £150 for this... (think thats around $350) would you say this was good? Am thinking of getting it cleaned etc, because a bit of the silver has come away. Is lovely to play, but very difficult to get those low notes, which I imagine will come with practice!

Reply To Post

14. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well it's definately a Buescher stencil, and the interesting thing about Bueschers is that all of their horns were engraved at the factory with the same serial number sequence as the Buescher horns. Here is a list of Buescher numbers: www.drrick.com/buesc.html Your horn checks out to be a 1921. As for being original, it looks to be all original to me, except for maybe the pads.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

You are right again.........Rosie
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

16. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

ahhh,Kelsey..so good to hear from you again..you and Rosie doin' okay? Spring is here in Idaho..it's really very beautiful

Reply To Post

17. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

ahh, chalazon, it's beautiful here in Florida too. Don't you just love the old post about the Conns? I've never owned a Conn but I'm now looking for one as a back up for my Mark Vl alto. I've been useing a Yamaha 62 for backup for my Mark Vl tenor and it's a great horn. However, the model YAS 62s are selling for more than I want to spend . I think if I can find an old Conn for the right price it might be the way to go. Cheers to you..........Kelsey and Rosie
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

18. by basssaxman88
          (68 posts)

15 years ago

One of the best and cheaper Conns are the Shooting Star type. easy to play, eastion action on the keys and best of all they're starting to show up more on Ebay

Reply To Post

19. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

15 years ago

"One of the best and cheaper Conns are the Shooting Star type. easy to play, eastion action on the keys and best of all they're starting to show up more on Ebay" Wow, I can't say I agree with that assessment of the student level "Director" models as they are correctly referred to. To each his own.

Reply To Post

20. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

Kelsey..I just sold a Conn 6M alto on e-bay for$1200.00. a great horn, and worth the bucks...grate tone, and lots of soul..you'd dig one. Look for the roman numeral VIII. These are the players..check out Stephenhowardwoodwinds.com. he has a nice article 'bout the 6M.... a very cool site by a very cool Brit..by the way, Cuber turned me on to this site...very nice..all my best, ....Chal.

Reply To Post

21. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks Chalazon, I 'll check em' out..............Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

22. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

chalzon- isnt it shwoodwind.co.uk? or did he change it since i was there last?

Reply To Post

23. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

Right you are, Cuber ...again..it's a great site..I bookmarked it and it comes up Stephen Howard on the bookmark page.thus my error..keep up the good work.

Reply To Post