Saxophone Forum

by iowahockeymom
(1 post)
8 years ago

need info on a sax

I have an old alto sax that my mom found at a garage sale, it is engraved on bell only with "Paris, France" and serial number is 5507.  The sax guy at our local music shop is guessing it is 1950's, but may be as early as 1940 or as late as 1960.  The keys are all in-line, not off-set like they do now.  He was guessing it's maybe an Olds or a Conn, but it doesn't have the compay on it, just Paris, France.   My quote to completely re-do this sax is $400, trying to decide if it's worth it or not.

Any info, guesses would be great. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: need info on a sax

Post some pictures and maybe someone can help.  

Reply To Post

2. by Saxlover70
    (14 posts)

8 years ago

Re: need info on a sax

A lot of those old horns play well, and some have larger bells for better projection and sound. But really it boils down to if you like it or not, and some might look ugly with laquer coming off and basically ran over by a bus and some guy picks it up and out plays some shiny new yamaha sax. So don't underestimate old horns. I don't know much on those horns, but if it's in decent shape and you want a horn to start on then go for it. But if you want to try to research it first that's your deal, and look at it this way too, a new alto is about like 1200 at a shop to buy even used ones go for 400-600 at the music shop. I bought my first alto at a pawn shop for 107 in playing condition which was a 70's buescher Aristrocrat Alto. But I like to bet your horn would sound better than mine, older horns usually have their own sound which some companies tried to replicate but frankly you can't rebuild a old el camino now because what made the old ones great can't be remade.

But I wish you luck in researching it, even chat with the tech though, ask him if it's worth fixing, if he says 'oh yeah this horn can be a good sax.'

Or...

'Umm, hmm, well honestly it's worth more being scrapped.'

A lot of those techs are honest people, well most are since a lot of people would rather play on the xbox 1 or what have you instead of making music. So really just have a heart to heart with the tech, see what he says and go from there. 

Reply To Post