Saxophone Forum

by cynot
(21 posts)
19 years ago

MY FIRST LESSON!

I just had my first lesson, it was great. I learned the G Major scale, I started learning the F Major scale but I had some trouble with the F note (I also started getting a pain in the lower right side of my abdomen, and my throat kinda hurts now.) Other than that, it went well. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with more advice: My girlfriend thinks I should just rent a sax for 3 months before buying one, what do you guys think? I was also wondering if any of you guys know anything about the following horns: Yamaha YTS 475 tenor Keilwerth ST-90 tenor Selmer TS200 tenor? You guys have been great, I appreciate any help :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cynot
    (21 posts)

19 years ago

Re: MY FIRST LESSON!

Oh yeah, here's another horn too: YAMAHA YTS-23 TENOR plus, has anyone ever got a sax from Ebay?

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
      (80 posts)

19 years ago

Hey congrats! Yes you should rent a sax b4 you buy one. And that pain you have is probably your posture. Make sure you always sit up straight ALL THE TIME!!! You will make the best sound possible. You might also want to invest into a new mouthpiece and ligature. A great set up on any student instrument is the Selmer C* mouthpeice and the Rovner dark ligature. Try www.wwbw.com They will probably give you the best price. Are you playing Alto or tenor?? Dont switch from alto to tenor right away either. get used to alto first and the switch will be easier. Good luck in your saxophone carrer

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

never mind... you play tenor the Yamaha is solid choice for beginer. But when you get better you should switch to a pro custom yamaha, Vintage Selmer or Yanigasawa

Reply To Post

1. by cynot
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

Wow Mark, you've been very helpful (w/the posture thing too) So you definitely think I should just rent a sax first to see if I'm serious?

Reply To Post

2. by cynot
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

Also, has anyone bought a sax from ebay?

Reply To Post