Saxophone Forum

by rockhard
(13 posts)
19 years ago

The beloved Conn 10M - opinions?

I'm a Norwegian aspiring musician, going for pro, studying jazz in my country for the time being - in desperate need of a good instrument! On account of my own experiences and ideology, I've found that I want a vintage sax rather than a modern instrument. Considering the price, and the fact that so many of my fellow musicians are using this instrument, I think I've ruled out the Mark VI. I want an old instrument with character, but still a horn that gives me some freedom of developing tone colour, and of course well-built with good action. From what I've read, the Conn 10M sounds like a good alternative. Unfortunately, there aren't too many around (in my vicinity). After one week I've only located one, and it's on the other side of my country (luckily my country ain't that big ;)), but it's about to be sold. I may get the chance to try it out, and in that case I could at least have an opinion about that particular horn. So my question is: Are there great differences from one model to the next? Will my experience with this model (1958) be comparative to, say, one of the Conns sold here at saxquest? If anyone has an opinion on wether or not the Conn actually will be a good choice for me, feel free to share your thoughts...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The beloved Conn 10M - opinions?

10M's are great jazz horns once you learn to control them. They blow very easily - almost too easy, and will leave you plenty of room to complete your tone color with your mouthpiece selection - larger chambers faring better than small chambered mpc's, in my opinion. Having owned and played various vintages, I'd say I don't notice much difference between the various years of manufacture in terms of how they ultimately sound and play. The older ones with rolled tone holes are more collectable and therefore cost more, but don't shy away from the less expensive later models. What is important (as with any vintage horn) is that it be in good condition such that you don't have to spend too much extra on repairs. You will find no shortage of 10M fans on this discussion board, and that would be a great choice. Good luck on your search.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've been playing a 1948 Conn 10M for more than 20 years, and I wouldn't trade it for 10 Mark VI's! As sax_maniac said, they do play very easy. The sax responds very well, and has excellent projection and a tone that will raise the roof! You definately want to use a wide open large chamber mouthpiece. With a smaller chamber piece, they tend to play sharp. I really feel that some of the best playing 10M's are those manufactured from 1948-1962. The intonation is a little better, and there are usually less problems with the drawn tone holes than the rolled tone holes. A couple things to watch out for on the 10M's; one the bell brace is somewhat weak. The rest of the horn is built like a tank. For this reason, I would not recommend keeping the horn in a soft case at all. Get a hard case. Some players find the key configuration a bit cumbersome. If you are used to playing a Selmer, this configuration may seem very ackward at first, but the action is very good and relatively smooth. I would definately recommend a Conn. I've been collecting them for the last 5 years. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by rockhard
        (13 posts)

19 years ago

I would really like to try a Conn after all these praises, think I'll get on a train to that 10M i found in Norway. Personally I find the silver plated ones very much to my liking, aesthetically speaking - do they sound different? For example the one they sell here - a vintage conn 10M silver plated w/setup - can I possibly be unhappy with that one? (assuming I like the one here in Norway) It just lookes awesome. Got me drooling...

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

The sound of silver plated vs. lacquered on any saxophone won't be different enough to notice or care about.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The silver plated horns are said to be a little brighter. I think the silver resonates better where the lacquer absorbs some of the sustain and overtones. The difference is barely noticable.

Reply To Post Yahoo!