Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

A new mouthpiece

I just got a selmer reference alto sax (i love it!), and it came with this mouthpiece...all i know is that it says selmer D on it (no *), and on the bottom part it says 'Super Session'. Is this a good mouthpiece?? should i consider using it on wind ensemble or something??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jim Keith
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: A new mouthpiece

Hey man thats a pretty nice alto... played one of those once and has a pretty nice sound. The mouthpiece you should toss. I like metal mouthpieces like the otto link. But go for a hard rubber mouthpiece if your lookin for a wind mpiece they work the best in my opinion. Go to a local music shop(one thats good and not just a crappy one) and ask to try a few pieces. Take your own reed( broken in) and play on a few and you just gotta go with ur gut feelin on it and play with ur heart. Music is all about opinion and feelin. But the piece you got wont let you go very far. later!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

Jim Keith, ---------------------------------------------------------- Hey man thats a pretty nice alto... played one of those once and has a pretty nice sound. -------------------------------------------------------- Indeed! ------------------------------------ The mouthpiece you should toss -------------------------------- I wouldn't, he might like it. Supersessions are hardly throwaway trash pieces that come some student horns. And anyway, if he doesn't like it, he might be able to sell it. I think it would work okay for wind ensemble.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

oy Johnson, our friend Karebear is a woman lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

my director was interested in the mouthpiece though...he thought it was/could be good. i've never tried an otto link (but our lead tenor player had one). is it more for jazz?? i have a selmer C*, the selmer D (whatever that is) that came with the reference, and a meyer 6. my director is huge on horn/mouthpiece quality since he's a sax player himself. i was also just wondering what mouthpieces youd all recommend for playing bari sax?? my director put me on bari next year (partly cuz he said he wanted a girl to play that since it's usually all guys), and he said i need a really good mouthpiece. ideas?? thanks, Kara

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
        (76 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Karebear, congrats on the new horn! The super session is a jazz piece but it is fairly expensive selling for over a hundred dollars. I have not heard much about it and would encourage vintage pieces instead (brilhart, meyer, otto link). As far as a classical set up stick with the c* it is a great piece. You asked the difference in a C and D mouthpiece. Selmer uses letters as their measuring system. A C* is about a 5,5*. Otto links are great jazz pieces I have a few for my tenor, I have not had much luck with them on alto or bari (but it seems connsaxmanjim is enjoying one for his alto and he knows his stuff, it wouldnt hurt to try one out.) One of the best bari pieces for jazz I have found is also one of the least expensive. The Rico Graftonite it sells for around twenty dollars. Having great equipment is important, but there can be alot of hype that goes along with it. Play what you enjoy and feel comfortable on, and that is the best set up for you.

Reply To Post

1. by semipro
          (17 posts)

19 years ago

Karebear, Congrats. tsax_player is right the SSD is a jazz mouthpiece and is very expensive. When I first got my Ref. '54 I played it and my Meyer 6. I find that I like the SSD for combo jazz stuff but seems a little light for my Big Band work (one of the hardest things in the world is playing lead over vintage conns and selmers in a big band ;)). Until I got this mouthpice I used my Meyer for both jazz and legit. I tend to close a C*. Keep that mouthpiece and give it some time. Although, I don't think it will work in classical music you might be able to find a jazz setting where it woks great.

Reply To Post

2. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

i never liked metal pieces for alto... alot of players are finding issues with new metal pieces now and i agree their is too much filler and the pieces vibrate to hard messing with embourchure teeth and even back issues... i know someone who actually had surgery from playing this way... no joke old metal pieces were solid rocks of metal all vibrating inside, like an old master link is much better than new links ive noticed ALOT almost all girl bari players recently and I dont know why anyone else seeing this? especially in school bands

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for your help :) umm well my director wants a mix of both...because it shows everyone that girls are just as capable as guys are with a large instrument. i dunno...that's what my director said. how much do the metal mouthpieces usually cost? are C*s good for bari? thanks again Kara

Reply To Post

4. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Metal mouthpieces often are gonna cost a premium more than the rubber/plastic ones. IMO, C* is gonna be toi closed to play comfprtably on bari sax

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'd buy a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece for Bari Kara. they're inexpensive, and they sound and play very good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Im gonna have to agree with Jim here, the graftonites are awesome pieces. I also highly recomend the Runyon Custom, one of my favorite pieces for bari, and can be used in nearly all styles of playing if you wish. plus they come in all those fun colors! lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM