Saxophone Forum

by xBabysaxgirLx
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Practicing

Just another idle question but how much do you all practice? I don't have much extra time, but I try to practice at least an hour or two a day and was wondering how that compared to everyone else.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Practicing

Babysaxgirl, you are right in the button. One hour a day is fine, and two hours is great. The main thing is not to miss a day. I practice about two hours a day on the average. Every day is the keyword, even if it is for five minutes. You will always progress from the previous day. Sometimes you will level off, but you won't backslide. Decide on someting that you really want to learn along with your regular studies Talk it over with your teacher. I'm sure that he will work with you on it as an incentive to you. I practice on the average about two hours a day. When you get burned out, walk away for a bit. Also I recommend to play as fast as you can for a while, and then stop. Take a a break, and then come back to it at normal speed. You will be surprised at how much easier it is to play. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by tsnydacker
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

I usually practice between 1 and 2 hours a day on weekdays and generally over 2 hours a day on weekends. It varies, really, and to be honest, I don't pay that much attention to the time. That's not really what's important. What's important is that you're getting done what you need to get done, and that you're not missing days, of course. Btw, someone above suggested practicing fast and then slowing it down, and I have to say, I completely disagree. I used to do this quite a bit, but this technique really screwed me up. It's better to start slow and take the tempo up only when you have everything else perfect, imo. Once you have it up to tempo, it is still a good idea to take it slowly again every once in a while to ensure you are getting everything right such as articulation and evenness. I recently found this to be essential while I was preparing Claude Smith's Fantasia and the Ibert. Hope this helps!

Reply To Post

3. by Kimo
    (29 posts)

19 years ago

I practice 1-2 hrs per day. You should have a schedule as to what to practice and for how long on each. I usually do scales for at least 30 min., then runs and excercises. Learn a song. I think you should try to learn a song as part of your daily practice session. Each day learn to play more of that song. There are many site on the web to download or print out excercises and runs. If you have need of some excercises to print out try saxlessons.com. There are 46 different ones to print. They get progressively more difficult from 1 to 46. They will fill up your practice session.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You probably practice more than most, babysaxgirl. I usually practice about 3 hours a week, sometimes more depending on my schedule. When I was first learning, I used to practice at least an hour per day, but I haven't had that much time with college, and my job. I play almost every weekend though, Fridays and Saturdays, even Sundays occasionally. I play a dinner show with a jazz quintet about every other Sunday. When I'm not playing as often I try to practice more to keep up my embouchre and keep my fingers limber. Sometimes, if there is a particular part that I want to learn, I may practice for a couple hours until I learn it. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

to be honest, i haven't touched a sax in about two weeks. I have played flute, though.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

When my saxes are home (not in school), I practice anywhere from an hour to three hours; depending on homework, mood, stamina, etc. I really don't have a strict practice routine either. If I have to work on something I do, otherwise I just goof around. I work on my improv to the best of my ability, intonation, sometimes long tones etc. That's bout it.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
        (131 posts)

19 years ago

Right now about 5-10 hours a week. During classes, 10-20 hours a week.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

I apologize...I meant one to three hours a day.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

I average about 2 hrs a day MINIMUM on sax, plus I spend another hour on brass, and when I can spare it I'll play some more aditional time on various other instruments, to keep my chops up on them

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

Depends on your stage of development and goals but an hour or two of efficient practice is enough to make steady improvement. The key is not to waste time or skip things like long tones that don't seem "hard enough" to require practice. In an hour I'd play 5 minutes of longtones 15 minutes of technical studies work on reading for 15 minutes and spend the remaining time working on improv or anything that required practice for upcoming gigs. The bad temptation with limited practice time is to skip the work and focus on what you LIKE to do.

Reply To Post

4. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar state its all about the individual and atitude of mind.You have to be totally positive.Some people do very little and are great players we know other great players who do a lot particularly when work comes in.The knights templar state Its not how much time you practice but what you practice and how you go about doing that.This is vital. But the Knights state one thing, if you decide you want to perform and improvise at a high level, then there comes a time in your life where for between 2 to 5 years depending on each person you have to put in 8 hours aday.If done correctly then this type of practice may not be a neccessary ever again unless you decide to change style.But general practice is up to you.Little and often is better than 3 hours once a week.Above all train your ear.The greatest advice the knights templar can give is when your ready to here it youl here it.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I totally agree that you must practice every day, even if it is only for 30 minutes or something. I normally practice for 1-2 and sometimes 3 hours a day on genearal. on days where i have a 3 hour band reheasal it's about 4-5 hours.

Reply To Post

1. by jaggtagg7
            (40 posts)

19 years ago

man i wish i had that kind of time to practice. right now i get in like 1-2 hours probably about every 2 or 3 days, w/ concert band class for 1 1/2 hours every other day. i've been practicing alot more recently then i ever used to. but 1 question. for those that play multiple instruments do you practice each one everyday, or just 1 of them everyday?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

19 years ago

I started on piano when I was six, and saxophone when I was nine. I usually combine the two instruments in a practice session. Most of my sax licks came from composing them on piano. At this point in my life, I don't have to practice for a teacher or band director. When I was a student I prcticed each instrument for at least one hour a day. I grew up practicing two instruments, and I firmly believe that one must practice every day. Even if it is for only five minutes, don't miss a day!!!! Best of luck to you :)

2. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

OK, I'm gonna admit a serious sin. I picked up clarinet about a year ago and got most of the basics down and can play it on a higher basic level. But I don't pick it up on a regular basis, for I am too busy focusing on my saxophone studies, as my director insists I should be. But I do wanna pick up flute over the summer so I guess I should spread out my days practicing.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

19 years ago

I have a tip for you on the flute. Smile and say Pure!!! That is for the flute embouchure. Haynes is the best flute, and Armstrong is second. As far as clarinet, Buffet is the best, and Selmer second. I am happy to see that you kids get so much fun from playing these instrument!!!!!!!!! JAM ON :)

4. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I was gonna see if I could get a Barrington cheapo flute for the b-day just so I can have one. Then I was thinking of asking for a Buffet B-12 clarinet. The Artley I'm using right now A) belongs to a neighbor and B) needs work. Our school has a B-12 that belongs to my friend and she let me play it. OMG...soo much of a difference.

Reply To Post

5. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Oh PS Clarinet (B-12) for x-mas...*grins sheepishly*

Reply To Post

6. by GzsKerqt
              (77 posts)

19 years ago

so gd!!! i havnt played my sax since my syf.. my teacher doesnt allow us to conduct band practices as we're changing instructor... i wanted to get a sax two yrs ago.. but my parents arent really keen and my bros always complain when i am practicing at home... My family's more into sports but i think they've given up on me long ago.. haha...

Reply To Post