Saxophone Forum

by kneejerk52
(397 posts)
19 years ago

antigua winds soprano?

anyone ever play one? are they ok for a third horn to play in church? i have a place to get a new one for 550.00 locally which is the best deal i have seen for somthing which seems to be half decent. thanks for responce in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophones_rock
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

Re: antigua winds soprano?

I don't exactly know about sopranos, but i own an antiqua winds alto, and it is an awesome horn. They carry a high quality sound, but usually without the high quality price. Good luck to you!! :)

Reply To Post

2. by darwins-things
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Where did you get your antigua winds soprano for $550 and would I be able to purchase one there??? website?? Thanks

Reply To Post

3. by WMcLean
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

About 3 weeks ago I got my Antigua Winds Soprano that I purchased from Kessler Music in Las Vegas. On Daves recommendation I also bought a Morgan Pro mpc. I have enjoying it immensely, though I cant say that I am a pro. Great horn for the little price and Dave is a great dealer. I am, however thinking about looking for a better ligature as neither the stock lig nor the Morgan lig fit well.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

They're a very good horn for the money, actually. The Antiguas are made in Taiwan, at the same factory that makes the Selmer LaVoix, and a couple other noticable clones. They're very similar to the Selmer Super Action 80 Series II sopranos in design. I was very impressed with both the Antigua soprano and alto that I played.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

the newer antiguas are actually computer copies of yanis....supposedly excellent horns for the money

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

ahh they're copying Yani's now huh? Well, the Yanagisawa soprano is one of the finest sopranos on the market right now, so that would be a good one to copy!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for the input, i have been doing research on them and could not find any negitive. guess ill go and play it and see what i think.

Reply To Post

1. by jaggtagg7
        (40 posts)

19 years ago

hmm... i thot they had a factory in Texas, guess it was just a warehouse (?) i dunno. But anyways, i posted on here about 3 months ago asking the same question. I really wanted to learn the soprano sax, but i didnt have the couple of thousands to shell out for a decent horn and i wasnt sure if i would contiune to play.... so i found Antiguas on the net. I have to say at first a was very skeptic. I asked everywhere i could, and either they haddnt heard of Antiguas or they just trie dto sell me somthing else. but anyone i talked to about Antiguas only had good things to say. apparently they are known for their saxes, and have recently done alot of research and remaking to improve their horns. anywaysm after a giant run around on trying to find a dealer in this area, i finally called the Antigua factory/warehouse in Texas. course they are all about selling me a horn, enough so that they shipped on out here for me. I finally got my Antigua 586LQ Soprano on saturday. so, i've been playing it for a week. Minding that i am still only a hs student and have never played one before... it seems to play nicely, w/ easy responce in all registers. besides that it looks very beautiful, even if that doesnt really matter. so it seems nice enough to me, as a student. but what the best part was i got the horn for a steal. its called an intermediate horn, keyed to high F#, hand ingraved on bell and body, its even got that dark laquor thing going on ( i dont know the correct term) and it came w/ a straight and curved neck. the retail price, (so the store told me) was $1400. the store that i finally bought it thru sold it to me for $740. yeah. so i figured for 700$, when i was excpecting to pay almost three times tha,t why not try it.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxman1990
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

I have one question for kneejerk. 1. What model of soprano was it?

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

19 years ago

student model im sure for the price offered even still the price is still good for even that

Reply To Post

4. by i just play
      (16 posts)

19 years ago

The newer ones are the best of the bunch. Though made in taiwan, these horns have made quantum leaps in quality since their release. From what I've read, the newest antigua yani copy is a spot on match to the real mc coy at a third of the price. peace

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

i have the pro model of the antigua winds soprano and it's great! i didn't get my hopes up at first because it isn't one of those well known names or anything, but i love it! and my teacher played it and was quite impressed.

Reply To Post