Saxophone Forum

by Illium
(3 posts)
19 years ago

From Clarinet to Tenor?

Err, sorry I posted this in the wrong section before. I have been thinking of renting a tenor saxophone and taking lessons for it. I currently play the b-flat clarinet. I really don't know to much about tenor except I've heard it would be eaiser to learn/play than the clarinet. I've also heard that the tenor would help with playing the clarinet and vice versa.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: From Clarinet to Tenor?

I started playing clarinet and switched to tenor sax when i was 11 years old (many moons ago). Learning clarinet first will definately help you as far as emboucher. The sax fingering is similar to the upper register of the clarinet. It really is easier to play sax than clarinet. As for tenor helping you with clarinet, I can see where it would to an extent, but clarinet emboucher is a lot more demanding even than soprano in my opinion.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by xBabysaxgirLx
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Tenor kicks ass!! I switched from flute to tenor awhile ago and it was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. Good Luck!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

I switched from clarinet to Tenor a year and a half ago, and it was a really easy switch. Tenor sax is easier to play, is involved more in jazz. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Many of the best saxophonists start their musical careers on clarinet or flute. Go for it!

Reply To Post

2. by tee196
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Ive played clarinet for four years now (going on 5), and about 1 1/2 years ago I started playing tenor sax, Now tenor sax is my 2nd instrument i play clarinet in concert band and tenor sax in jazz band. Yes tenor definitally helps your clarinet playing, i testify and so does my band teacher. Keep playin' it rocks! Also once you get the fingerings down, Tenor is a ton of fun to play, i almost like it better than clarinet now that ive started.

Reply To Post