Saxophone Forum

by saxmanryan1187
(8 posts)
19 years ago

What are the best pro altos available for under $2500?

I'm a graduating high school senior and am looking to buy a new sax for college. I currently don't own a sax and have been borrowing a Selmer Super Action 80 Series II from my high school for the past three years. I don't have a large budget so I was wondering if anyone had any input on good pro saxes for reasonable prices.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Island991
    (22 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What are the best pro altos available for under $2500?

do you american guys ever play Yanigisawa saxes?? all i ever hear are people recomending Yamaha/selmer/keilworth.....and so on. any views on Yani?

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

they seem muffled to me.

Reply To Post

2. by saxitup
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

Although I don't own one, I would recommend a Yamaha YAS-62.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

Thats what I play. Its very versatile, can play gently or scream or just play. With the right mpc it'll sound like whatever you want it to. Not specifically a jazz horn though, if that's what you're looking for. YOu might be able to find a good deal on a Keilworth SX90. Lists for >4000, but just awhile ago I saw one at my local music store sell for 2600.

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
        (55 posts)

19 years ago

Yamaha Custom YAS-82Z. It's a really versatile jazz horn with plenty of guts, that can really scream like Bird, and whisper like Desmond. You can take it and do whatever you want with it. The LA Sax Chicago Jazz Series is great too. It's made by B&S of Germany, and is nothing like the rest of the LA Sax line. -Bleeding Gums Murphy

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

However, if you're willing to get a vintage horn, many of them are of greater quality than those made today and can be had for very good prices. Some suggestions: King Zephyr or SUPER 20 Conn Chu or 6M H. Couf Superba I or II SML Rev. D, Gold Medal, or King Marigaux

Reply To Post

2. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

don't forget the martin Committee II or "The Martin" that followed right after it

Reply To Post

3. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Oh, I forgot about them. Typing too fast again. And don't forget the Magnas.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you're looking for a new horn. The Keilwerth SX90 or Yamaha YAS62II or YAS82 Custom Z. Otherwise, I'd definately check out a Conn 6M. The 6M is my favorite. It has a smooth action, and it's one of the best sounding alto saxophones I have ever played. The other vintage horns mentioned are also great horns!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Island991
        (22 posts)

19 years ago

do you american guys ever play Yanigisawa saxes?? all i ever hear are people recomending Yamaha/selmer/keilworth.....and so on. any views on Yani?

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

i love my yani.. its a great horn.. very basic, inexpensive professional horn.. the retail is at somewhere shy of 4000.. but i bought it for just under 1500.. they really bring thier prices down from the retail for some reason.. but the only thing i can complain about the horn is that it kinda lacks character.. u need to bring the character into it urself.. some horns have a natural sound where u kno "hey thats a .. blaahh ..".. this u need to work for it.. its just kinda there.. once u find the right setup and whatnot on these horns, ull be a very happy camper just like i am.. for concert band/jazz(last year) i used my yanigasawa 901... a selmer s80 C*.. and vandoren java 3.5 reeds..with a rovner dark.. loved it.. this year.. im using hte same for concert.. switched it up on the mouthpiece for jazz.. im using a selmer soloist E.. havnt found a reed that i like on it yet.. dont know if i like the one i have on there.. but when u get the right reed, that thing SCREAMS.. i love it.. its so dark and full and thick.. but the brightness of the yani and the powerfulness of the piece allows u to get that jazz sound.. check out yani's dude.. the 901 and the 902 are well under ur price range.. and perform better than some in the upper end of ur price range IMO

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

It's very simple, Forget everything.. go and find a good buescher 400.. buy it... problem solved!!!

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

I'm gonna go preaching again... A Selmer LaVoix is labeled as an intermediate horn, but only so because it's not made in Paris like the Super Action 80. But it has all the features of the Paris horns if not a better sound! Plus it's a little under $2,000. Might wanna get a different mouthpiece with it tho. The S80 C* is more meant for classical and legit stuff. I'm gonna get a Dukoff D7 with my tenor when I get it back... I had to send my LaVoix tenor back to WWBW because the rod inside the rib bent (in theory) causing my G# to stick open when touched lightly. They're gonna replace my horn with a new one; it best not come to me with any problems, or we're (WWBW and I) gonna have problems. Good luck on your sax...sax quest? Check out that Selmer. You might not be dissapointed. For some good pics go to kesslermusic.com and look for the LaVoix alto and he has plenty of pictures.

Reply To Post

2. by yanytenor
            (12 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah Yanigisawa saxophones are amazing. I play a bronze tenor and its just incredible. Blows away all yamahas and so on. But I don't know whether you'll find one for $2500. I know someone who has just bought a Selmer Alto and she says thats also brilliant. (Possibly better that her Yanigisawa Sop.

Reply To Post