Saxophone Forum

by Kujuurou
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Solist vs Kessler Custom?

Greetings, I have been playing violin for nine years and clarinet for one year. Recently, I decided to pick up tenor sax but I am a student with a ridiculously low budget. So I've been looking at some of the lower priced saxophones and ran into the Solist and the Kessler Custom tenor saxes. I'm not expecting the best quality, but I am hoping for something that doesn't fall apart when it comes in through the mail. From reading all of the posts about kesslermusic.com's good reputation and such, I decided to go with one of these saxophones. I realize one is an intermediate level and the other is a professional level. Is the difference much greater between the two? Becauase as much as I would like to go with the cheaper Solist saxophone, I'm afraid I will be cheating myself out of getting a good sax in the form of the Kessler Custom. Which one of the two would you guys recommend?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Kujuurou
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Solist vs Kessler Custom?

Hm. Upon further consideration, I thought it might not be too bad to play the alto sax. Actually, once again, influenced by low price tags, I am starting to consider purchasing an alto sax. I hear from a lot of people that its sound is much too high and bright for the slower type jazz (such as a piece like "Misty?"). Does anyone have an opinion on this? Will the alto sax be suitable for playing such pieces? Advice on Solist vs Kessler Custom is still appreciated. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

tenor might be eaiser for yu to play. both are ok for jazz standards. too bad you can't try some before you buy. it might help you make a decision.

Reply To Post

1. by i just play
        (16 posts)

19 years ago

Get on the kessler site. www.kesslermusic.com. (888)385-4559 and talk to dave. He is an honest guy who will give you a no B.S. evaluation of his product line. A great guy

Reply To Post