Anyone dare start ???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SheriRDH
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: conns conn't play

Conn instruments do work, my school has a number of Conn insrumemts and they are a good instrument.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

YOU can't play!!! You're just another loud mouth idiot who thinks he needs a Selmer to sound good! You don't know your ASS from a HOLE!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

You already started. You're a fool with a tiny mind. Go have your teacher pick you out a REAL horn... an old CONN!

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

19 years ago

It's amazing we can knock Selmer silly but the poor Conn- artist can't take what they dish out. For everyone that insists in living in the twenties, playing horns that belong on mantelpieces or literally in the garden with some sod and tulips growing in it. Are you not tired of trying to defend a hopeless cause, paying big bucks to keep these relics working ,,,I advise you to open a museum or better a --hall of fame for conners-- or even better a Connsoniun Institute ,,, because maybe that is where these things are appreciated most in some institute. I bet most of you still play with the reed under the top lip

Reply To Post

2. by saxobsessed
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

well.....jim will not be happy with your post......and i must say....i'm not a proffesional....(i'm still a student) but i must say that i was offended by your post...the first sax that i ever played was a conn......i like them very much....and i think that you should keep your fat selmer playing mouth shut !

Reply To Post AIM

3. by reedrage
      (21 posts)

19 years ago

As usual I got here late.My father bought me a 10M in 1942 and I just sold it last year because manipulating the G# cluster was difficult because of stiffness in my left hand.There is no horn comparable to Conn sound and if it had modern keywork I'd still be playing it.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have a friend who just bought a 10M that needed some work, and he had some custom keywork done to it to make it play more like a Selmer. I'm not sure who he had do the work, but I can ask. Have you tried a Keilwerth SX-90R? They have a very nice vintage sound, and comfortable and adjustable keywork.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by BariSaxplyr
      (35 posts)

19 years ago

Its unfair to say that CONN horns cant play. In my mind, CONN tenors are nice, but i personally think that Selmer's are better. For God's sake, its so ridiculious how stupid people get about what kind of horn people play. FOr some unknown reasons, people like to argue more about what kind of horn is right to play.... more than they like to play. And anyone who says CONN doesnt make good saxophones, has never played a CONN they liked. I've played selmer Mark VI's, that were just downright embarassing. In fact, my 1970 CONN bari has outplayed 8 mark VI's now. Of course the biggest argument is... who cares? Someone who makes a chinese horn sounds good... sounds good, no? I wish people would stop arguing about this nonsense, because its just stupid. I dont consider myself a selmer... or CONN player. I just like to play.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

Well said, Bari. The only "cause" I stand for is your right to choose what you like to play. Selmer4, you obviously have a good deal of knowledge- wouldn't it be more appropriate to put it to positive use instead of bagging on people whose opinions differ from yours?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Am I so different in that I find a whole lot of different saxophones that I like?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I agree. It's not what you play, it's THAT you play! I don't care if you play a Selmer, Conn, King, Buescher, Martin, Yamaha, Keilwerth, B&S, Yanagisawa, Cannonball, Buffet, Borgani, LA Sax, or even if all you can afford is a Monique, Schill, Millwaukee, or one of the other Chinese horns with a name I can't spell or pronounce! What matters is that you play saxophone, and that you have taken the time to learn a musical instrument! I LOVE the sound of American vintage horns. I currently own 26 saxophones. 19 of them are Conn, 2 Selmers, 2 Kings, 2 Bueschers, and a new Keilwerth SX-90 soprano.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

Finally we are starting to see the light if there was any bashing all over this forum it has been selmer bashing I cannot find anywhere on this site a topic as stupid as ''reasons to hate Conn'' . connsaxjim and friends on the other hand are too Attlian to be accustomed to savy discussions. Style of play , interpretation, articulation and such are not their concern so they enjoy themselves by starting strings entitled reasons to hate selmer ,,thinking that the rest of the world does not have the balls to stand up and show that to a thinking man they are actually to be pitied. I started this string for that purpose mainly ,,,to dish out some self medicine to the conn lovers in these pages that have nothing better to do than to rant and rave about how selmers are a ripp off . While I drink espresso and do not think that refinement makes me better than anyone else , I find myself among some that find crudeness sophisticated. Some in this forum are so dense they are living proof that there is none more deaf than he who does not want to listen. My knowledge is extensive enough in some areas that i will offer to others the benefit of my travels down sax roads . I have made verything I know available to readers in this forum to the point of scanning and emailing documents of interest . I would sooner discuss intelligent topics rather than get involved in brand bashing which,i am sorry to say, is the only pleasure the majority of vintage lovers have. While those who love ligitimate playing can discuss an author's original intention in writing this or that, and how to best interpret the pieces so that we can respect fully the original intentions of the music, i hear only ''whatever turns you on man'' from all vintage lovers. ''IT IS THE LEGITIMATE SAXOPHONIST THAT IS THE TRUE RESPECTOR OF VINTAGE'',,since it is we that painstakingly work to adhere to the original interpretations,,thus safeguarding the history our music and thus our time on this earth. If we were to leave it to connsaxjim and company we would be living in anarchy ,,,''whatever turns you on man''. What a stupid ,,ridiculous ,,assanine way to live . A donkey would show more savy . Don't get me started I possess an easy pen.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Quit talking out your ass man! You are ridiculous! You LOVE Selmer! We get that! I don't HATE Selmer saxophones, but I do find them over-priced, over-rated, and dull sounding for the type of music I play. (I'm not sure how many times I have said this now, but this IS the last). I dispise George Bundy and the American Selmer company for the way they've conducted business in the past and continue to do so.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

19 years ago

So now we have to listen to your assessment of our lifestyles? I think lifestyles is a different forum. There are still many of us who seek something different, and have found it. We want to tell others that there are alternatives. And "whatever turns you on" is a lot healthier than "you can only play this brand". It seems to me that as sax players, we should seek common ground, not quibble in such a childish fashion. Would that your wit was as ready as your pen!

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

19 years ago

"Don't get me started I possess an easy pen." please start, you're providing entertainment at your expense for the rest of us.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

Connsaxjim you despise Selmer for reasons that are your own but even those are in error. Any good business man knows a winner when he sees it . If Selmer was as you say it is then American companies like Vincent Bach would have been closed moons ago . Selmer paris makes trumpets you know one such sougfht after model is called the K modified. In spite of this after purchasing Bach ,Selmer chose to keep it open and as a matter of fact permitted Bach to flourish by giving Bach access to a world distribution network. Vincent Bach is open today thanks to selmer not only open but actually thriving even in europe and competing against Selmer Paris. You keep a good thing and you close what is outdated and passe ( accent missing). What selmer did for Bach it could have done for the Conn Constellation or the Martin or even the King Silver Bell Super 20 trumpet but it didn't because it was not worth saving . VINCENT BACH WAS. Now as for your issue with vintage and such. With the advent of Mule and classical music for saxophone also came more composers writing for the instrument . Serious music became a way to return to its origins for the sax. Inevitably companies would now have to design saxophones that met new requirements most of them more strindgent and more demanding. The acoustics would have to be re-visited ,,materials reviewed ,,,,concepts re-thought,,, and production methods re-vamped. Selmer did this and is still doing it . Conn and the likes were slow and too caught in the past to react fast enough to a new reality . . In a world village economy you need to be ahead of the curve some companies are so comfortable in their laurels that nothing will wake them up . By the way it is happening to GM , will you blame Toyota one day for stabbing GM . Give it up !!! Conn Martin Olds King caused their own downfall. Stop crying over their graves!!!

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer never made a good trumpet. THAT's why they bought Bach and yes, they have made Bach very successful. Selmer's claim to fame has ALWAYS been clarinets and saxophones. You just don't get it do you? Do you think that you're ever going to change my mind? YOU'RE NOT! SAVE YOUR BREATH! I can't stand about 90% of the classical music I have been forced to listen to in my life. The other 10% I can only tolerate! I'm NOT a Mule fan, I'm a Parker fan. If my horn was good enough for Bird, then it's certainly good enough for me!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

But they didn't do it with Conn Trumpets did they ???

Reply To Post

7. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
            (55 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer, stop just making threads to start trouble. Conns are awesome. I've played several and every one of them screamed!!! The last 6M I played beat the hell out of any selmer. I would have riffed on that thing all night if I could. Here's a question for you, Selmer. Have you ever sat down with a nice vintage Conn and played the blues? I'm guessing you haven't, and if you had, you would understand our point of view.

Reply To Post

8. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

I don't have the blues but you do- my selmer brings joy- obviously your Conn is the thing that causes you to be down in the weeds try playing the funeral march bury the thing and be done with it ,

Reply To Post

9. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

One of the best saxophone players I have ever heard is a DIE HARD Selmer fan. He has always admired my tone, and he said. "Whenever you play that old Conn 10M, I swear I see smoke rolling out of the bell!" But, he plays a mint 1959 Selmer Mark VI tenor, and a 1961 Selmer Mark VI alto. I was showing him my Conn 6M and told him to give it a try and see what he thinks. He's not a snob. He's very open minded to other instruments and has great respect for Conn horns, but he likes Selmer. He couldn't put it down! He is a REALLY fast player; one of the best jazz musicians I have ever heard. As his fingers flew up and down my 6M I could tell he was impressed! His words "WOW, this Conn really plays great, and sounds so sweet!" Then he picked it up and played it for another hour or so! He said it was "one of the finest alto's he has ever played".

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, Jim, I had the same sort of thing happen to me with a legit sax teacher. He ripped on it in both legit and jazz mode and loved it major. (and I had just sold him my mk. vi!) Hey selmer with a small s, you make any of your audiences DANCE? Or do they just sit there when you bring them all that joy?

Reply To Post

11. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think he puts his audience to sleep!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

12. by rhino2104
            (15 posts)

19 years ago

I know that I'm new to this thread, but I've read a lot of what selmer had to say. All that I have to say is that in high school I was brain washed into thinking that only Selmer made good instruments. I purchased a Selmer MkVI and was impressed by it, but when I picked my vintage Conn back up it absolutely blew the Selmer out of the water. I had three directors and two Selmer loving private lesson teackers play on it and they wanted to buy it off of me because it had so much more power than the Selmers they played on. Also, if they require so much more repair, why is it that all of my friends that play vintage horns I've seen make less than half of the trips to the repair shop that the Selmers make? Just a thought.

Reply To Post

13. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

19 years ago

Good for you, Rhino! Another Conn-vert. As to the repair issue, I think Mr. bean was just using a ploy to rattle Jim's chain. Conns were built strong, and if you get one that's in good shape you should have no troubles. After all, you're not going to use it as a baseball bat...on the other hand, my mk. VI only went to the shop once in 33 years- that was to have some pads replaced, so I can't say they're all that fragile either.

Reply To Post

14. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Selmer sound

As I've said. I don't despise Selmer. It's just not my sound, but I have a confession. I have been working on a studio project for the past couple weeks, which we just recently finished. It's a collection of Latin jazz tunes. Some bossa nova type stuff like Girl From Impenema and Sade's Smooth Operator. Well, I played my Conn 10M on most of the recordings. It sounds so good on Girl From Impenema! I mean.....Stan Getz would be proud. But, Smooth Operator....it just didn't sound right. So I dusted off the old Selmer Mark VI tenor, pulled out a vintage Berg and WOW!!!! THAT'S the sound! Silky smooth and sultry. Just what that song needed. So.....I'm going to start restoring the old Selmer. It sounds good on some songs. It just doesn't have the power and tone that my Super 20 or my 10M have.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The Selmer sound

The older Selmers were built very well. Of course, my friend Nate's Mark VI didn't fair too well when it got ran over by a truck (I have pics, if anyone wants to see them) but.... neither would most horns! The newer Selmers just don't seem to be of the same quality. The Series III I owned was a big disappointment. Of the newer saxes, I think it's hard to beat a Yamaha for value. The quality of the vintage horns was the finest available at the time; the best metals and materials, and more "hands on" craftsmenship that you just don't find with today's horns. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

16. by EdTheGreat
            (11 posts)

19 years ago

Well I don't know what the big deal about finding a good sax is, a real sax player can pick up any saxophone and make it sound awesome

Reply To Post

17. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

While it is true that a sax player will make his sax sound as good as he is . It is also true that certain horns lend themselves to the production of certain sound qualities more than others and will permit the player to find a broader scope within a particular sound quality . For instance a very airy ambient sound that has no particular direction but comes from everywhere at once, the type that will make the audience turn around thinking that the player is behind while he is actually in front, commonly known as ''recto-tono'' ( a la Hemke ) will not be produced by any horn. What is needed is a precise mix of fundamental and harmonics. It is conceivable that Hemke did not think this sound up from nowhere but is actually an acquired taste in part from his studies, who and what he listened to, and what his horn was capable of sounding like back then. It is also true that these will change with time for instance a markVI does not lend itself well to what I like in a sound it is too thin in the high register and the sound is not complex enough compared to a Mk VII or a series III or even a BA . I also find that these same caracteristics are true of any MkVI copy-cat be it a Yam Yan or even a Ref 54 ( always speaking alto). The advantage to buying a new horn is mainly in having the opportunity to sit in a room for 5 days and play as many as 20-30-40 horns and get to pick and choose while even experimenting with necks. I have been emailing with Doctor Borgani of italy about this very problem that most saxes today are MKVI copy-cats. I would not mind the opportunity of trying one of their horns.

Reply To Post

18. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

For instance a very airy ambient sound that has no particular direction but comes from everywhere at once, the type that will make the audience turn around thinking that the player is behind while he is actually in front, commonly known as ''recto-tono'' ( a la Hemke ) will not be produced by any horn. ''recto-tono''.... isn't that the procedure where they stick a long probe up your ass and check your colon for pulips or something? Definately doesn't sound pleasant and pleasing to my ears! I guess you really are anal retentive! Yes, many of the horns today are Mk VI copycats. Pretty sad, really. That's why I admire companies like Keilwerth and Cannonball; even LA Sax, for daring to be different. I have played a couple Borgani's and I really liked both of them. I know where there is a really nice Borgani alto for sale that was professionally overhauled and relacquered. It looks and plays like brand new and it's a very sweet sax! If you're interested, I can put you in touch with the owner.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

19. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

yes the Borgani is one I might consider how old if it is re-lacquered ??

Reply To Post

20. by selmer 4evr
            (309 posts)

19 years ago

Connsax somehow I knew you would not resist !!!!!!!!'' Recto;; meaning from behind and ''tono'' meaning sound of course . Here I just gave you another one. !!!!!!

Reply To Post

21. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I would guess it to be early to mid 1960's vintage. It has beautiful engraving on the bell and even the rim of the bell. It has nickel keys. I assume it's a pro model horn. It's a great player. It has the Selmer style resonator pads. It was just overhauled this past winter by The Wind Works, who I have repair my horns. I'll email you the details, and Luke's number and I'm sure he can tell you more about it and send you some pictures.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

22. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, in case you dont know, all current horns from LA Sax are actually made by B&S, another german company like keilwerth, they'e modern stencils. But B&S has unfortuneatly stopped making saxes, so we should watch LA sax fer the next few years, see what happens

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

23. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

19 years ago

well LA sax is in cooperation with ORSI Conn owns, and has been owning, look ( www.jayeaston.com/galleries/sax_family/sax_history/Historical_sax_p_Conn.html ) Conn was bought by Selmer, along with Buescher, Bundy... My Conn 24M and my private instructor's Mark VI look identical, except for color. My Conn rocks with the mouthpiece and reeds I have on it, I can get edge on a non Jazz mouthpiece. I think that wraps it up, a little.

Reply To Post

24. by bmcguire
            (45 posts)

19 years ago

Actually only the Chicago Jazz series horns are made by B&S. This comes from LA Sax's dealings with Dave Guardala. The Guardala horns were made by B&S (now available as the Medusa line from B&S) I don't know where the Chicago stands. The Guardala horns were exceptional, I am looking for a Medusa to try (stupid name for a horn, sadly)

Reply To Post

25. by bmcguire
            (45 posts)

19 years ago

I love every Selmer I own, a MKVI, a ten year old clear laquer Series II (practically NOS, can't bear to play it and get it dirty, I have a touch of OCD...) and a same vintage black laquer Series II, which for me, gives me this amazing feeling when I play it. It makes me think of Stevie Ray and his nasty old Strat. For whatever reason, that black selmer makes me play better, I can't explain it, lets just say that if it wasn't for the sentiment I would sell my VI. Now let me tell you how I feel about Selmer today and as a company. I'm not sure the quality is going down but the craftsmanship certainly is. I line up my VI a Serie II and Serie III next to each other. The engraving is getting cheesier. Take a look at the Serie III. Lame engraving, they have removed the world famous selmer plate that is on the neck, the support on the other side, which on the VI's - II's was a nice contoured plate, is now a cheap brace. None of these affect the quality or performance, but what does it say about Selmer's pride, craftsmenship and attention to detail? Yet the prices are going through the moon. I just checked WWBW.com the Yamaha Custom is $1000 almost to the penny cheaper than a Series III. Even less for an 82Z which is taking the world by storm! Still, you check out these Yamahas and they still have the traits of a finely crafted instrument. Beautiful engraving, nice contoured braces etc... Jim, I can't personally get into the Conn Alto sound, and I play a Keilwerth SX-90R tenor, which trys to capture the Conn sound, but I love them and thier place in saxophone. As a collector I can't wait to add some to my stable. I'll use the money I save on my new Yamaha Soprano to buy a good used Conn! Selmer has made it very hard to be loyal, especially considering all the great horns that are available these days. Name 5 top sax players today that play a Series III or a Reference? The only name that comes to mind is Miles Osland. I can name a top player that playes a Keilwerth, Cannonball, Yamaha etc...

Reply To Post

26. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

you dont hate selmer sax? you are the first one posted reason to hate selmer and now you dont hate it? LMFAO You are a joke

Reply To Post

27. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

David.....it doesn't surprise me that you lack the intellect and comprehension to understand my post and my opinion about the AMERICAN Selmer company. How can you even see where you're going with your head so far up your arse? Really!!! I bet you used to wet the bed till you were 15 years old! really punk, I've had enough of your smart mouth!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

28. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

very funny jim, you just can not face it? cant you? conn is the best? do you happy now? i felt sorry for liying. because american horn are shit why even american player prefer selmer? why it expensive ,? because people love it and becuase its good just because u think selmer are shit or not worth buying doenst mean it are shit, but u are a cazt and jealous boy

Reply To Post

29. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

19 years ago

Davidau, I suggest two things: !- get spell check, 2-get a life. I can't find one post by you that has been constructive. You are so not a cat. (or is it cazt?)

Reply To Post

30. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Obviously not every American player prefers Selmer. I would take a Cannonball over a Selmer anyday; better sound, and comparable quality at a lower price. You know what I think is shit david? You!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

31. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

conn is cheaper because americans are cheap we europeans makes better saxophone

Reply To Post

32. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Americans are cheap! I wish! I drive a gas guzzeling SUV that gets about 17 miles to the gallon. I had to have something that would pull my boat! I eat out every day because I'm never home to cook. I spend WAY too much money on saxophones and other hobbies. But yeah, I'm cheap! Why pay $3500 for a Selmer Series III when you can buy a better made Yamaha for $1900?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

33. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

because you knew selmer is better and you just can not accept it cant you? lmfao yes americans horn are shit because its made by americans and even you self know selmer USA horn are all shit because it come with USA with it

Reply To Post

34. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You're hopeless, man! Yes, Selmer USA horns are junk. That's because Selmer bought all the good companies after they ran them out of business, and then they put their names on their cheap garbage horns! That's why I hate US Selmer.....DUH!!!! Geez you are a F@*KING MORON!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

35. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

No offense david, but you're a dickhead

Reply To Post

36. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

I am sick of duscusing how "Good" Americans Horn are? Just refer to the MOST AMERICAN Player setup you will know the fact most pro sax player in USA or even rest of the world prefer selmer even its expensive you want the prove? here you go candy dulfer david suburn steve goodson Steve Stransky from world wide sax Paul Desmond Malcolm "Molly" Duncan (Average White Band) Eddie Daniels Gato Barbieri Bob Berg Michael Brecker Pete Christlieb Mark Colby Eddie Daniels Bill Evans Lawrence Feldman Brandon Fields Kenny Garrett Scott Hamilton ..............................etc and more i cant bother typing it even you said selmer copy buffet lmfao buffet=french brand ok? the world most brand copy selmer mark VI body dont you realise that? you will never find any conn copy but a mark vi copy ok? u are a joke u just cant stand if french horn are BETTER and EXPENSIVER than MADE in USA horn and now you can shut your big mouth up and go ask your mommy why USA horn can never compare with french one

Reply To Post

37. by mojocoggo
            (97 posts)

19 years ago

Hmmm.... Haven't heard of "david sunburn."

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

38. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

David Sanborn

Reply To Post

39. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

its David Sanborn and who cares what their name are

Reply To Post

40. by mojocoggo
            (97 posts)

19 years ago

"suburn..." sorry. Either way, david, I seriously doubt you own or have even played and compared Selmers with the more modern Yamahas. I also hope you realize that your horrible writing shreds any trace of credibility in your posts.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

41. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You're right davidau. Many artists today play Selmer and few play Conn or Buescher. This is because the US Selmer Company under George Bundy bankrupted and bastardized those companies. If you ever played a good Conn 6M or a 28M Connstellation, or one of the pre-Selmer Buescher 400's, I think you would be impressed. The 28M Connstellation alto was a GREAT horn, designed by Santy Runyon. Unfortunately the project was scrapped due to cost! Oh yeah, you said Americans were cheap? The material and production costs to build a Conn 28M Connstellation was almost twice what it cost Selmer to build a Mark VI!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

42. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

why do I bother? I couldn't give so much as a rabbit's ass what David or anyone thinks of my Buescher (and it's a post-Selmer too), my Yani, or any other horn I have. He's just some schmuck who's never played any of my instruments. Why does it bother everyone else so much?

Reply To Post

43. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

19 years ago

Whatever you prefer, Johnson! I support your right to choose. I guess it bothers us because he's such an opinionated schmuck. To schmuck: you probably collector not player - if you play you know truth- Conn got the sound and better than selmer in my ear and lotsa other yankee too. You can't handle, you go cry home to mommy. I think you never play Conn at all or else you figger it out. You ever hear of Lester Young or Dexter Gordon?

Reply To Post

44. by davidau
            (37 posts)

19 years ago

who cares if they cost more to build look on ebay they cheaper than a mark VI HAHAHA people wont pay more than 2000 for than look mark vi for a very good one easy 10k

Reply To Post

45. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Most plsayers cant afford a horn for 10K

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

46. by DG
            (6 posts)

19 years ago

Conn's are good, Selmers are good, Kings are good. as someone above said, its in the player, not so much the horn. I happen to play a brushed finish Series II selmer bari and it sounds amazing. I also happen to like the sound of the old Conn 12M baris, and will get one one of these days. but, I also like the sound of my selmer. Conn made great saxes in the old days, as did the other American sax companies like King (H.N. White), Buescher, Martin. Its sad that they are no more. The workmanship and quality of those old horns is wonderful. I currently a 20's vintage Buescher silver sopranino, a 1938 King Zephyr Special alto (double socket neck, sterling silver neck, amazing engraving, real pearl on ALL the key touches, engraving on the five lowest key cups, pants protector, triple ring strap thing) and an early 40's King Zephyr Tenor (double socket neck, triple ring strap thing, pants protector). NONE of the new horns have all this great stuff. Each of these horns sounds amazing. As for the bari, I used to have a Mk 6 low A bari but I sold it when I was young and stupid. I was going to get another, but I got the series II for a lot less money, and it sounds just like a mk 6. like I said, though, Conn's sound great too. its more a matter of who is playing the horn. so stop arguing, just play and find a horn that allows you to express yourself. DG

Reply To Post

47. by DG
            (6 posts)

19 years ago

BTW, my two fav bari players: Pepper Adams (most fav) - Selmer Gerry Mulligan - Conn one is not better than the other (although I think Pepper had a better sound), just different. why can't we all just get along? DG

Reply To Post