Saxophone Forum

by k7michal
(34 posts)
19 years ago

buying my first pro tenor, feed back welcome.

so far I've been playing a YTS 275 tenor, NY 8* otto link, med La Voz reed, and I love the deep tone and ease of breath I get with this set up. I just came back from the local sax shop and had the opportunity to try the following: Selmer Super Action 80 (DIR?) - this one had a nice upper register but felt more stuffy. King Super 20 - I had a similer responce from this one as above. YTS 82ZS - This one was a lot closer to the YTS 275, I liked it more than the selmer, but there seemed to be a hint of stuffyness again. B & S Medusa - this is the first horn I liked out of the ones I tried. I felt the tone was a little sweeter and still full, and the action was superb. Keilwerth SX90 - I instantly fell in love with this one. I liked the punch more than the Medusa could offer appealed to me. Keilwerth SX90R - though brighter, I thought this was overkill. Anyway, hopefully this gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. If anyone has any recommendations or hints that would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by k7michal
    (34 posts)

19 years ago

Re: buying my first pro tenor, feed back welcome.

BTW, the sales clerk recommended I try a YTS 62 but he didn't have one in stock. Any comments on this horn?

Reply To Post

1. by i just play
      (16 posts)

19 years ago

Try a cannonball big bell. The yts-62 is a great horn for the money as well. I just bought the big bell. The 62 however was a very close second. Don't buy until you have played both. Dave Kessler at kessler music might have some horns for you to try. He is a man you can trust. www.kesslermusic.com Good luck

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

Sounds like you're looking for something that's free-blowing and lively while maintaining some body and roundness to the sound. Buesher 400 or Conn 10M might be good to try

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

The 62 I tried once was rather resistant compared to the newer Yamaha models like the 82Z. The modern tenor I personally like above all else is the Ref 36.

Reply To Post

1. by Zheng
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

i agree. i play a selmer ref. 36. its a little hard at first, but with some practice its has a nice fat sound. i like it better than the yamahas

Reply To Post AIM

2. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

luckily I'll be able to try the ref. 36 but I don't know anyone that has a conn 10m or a buesher 400.

Reply To Post

2. by k7michal
        (34 posts)

19 years ago

if I could only get my hands on the conn 10m. *droole*

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I like the TYamaha 62 and 82Z tenors that I have tried, but they're very bright and resonate; especially the 82Z. I thought they sounded a little thin in the upper range though. My favorite horn is my 1948 Conn 10M naked lady. It just sounds SOOOOOO good! My Chu Berry, Buescher 400 and King Super 20 also sound really good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

I ended up going for the Keilwerth SX90. It's got the free blowing that I'm used to on the YTS-275 and it roars just enough for my liking with the otto link 8*.

Reply To Post

3. by jazzsaxman
          (28 posts)

19 years ago

look again at the b&s medusa if you liked it. i have the la sax chicago jazz series which i am told is the same exact horn stenciled for la sax. it is a wonderful horn. the key action is like BUTTER. and the sound is big- as big as a cannonball. i am extremely satisfied. it is made in germany and they have a way with metal working there i am told.

Reply To Post

4. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

all I remember is that it was a silver B&S medusa, new one at that, an dapparently it comes with two other necks. That perticular medusa was my first choice but when I played the SX-90 after two notes I laughed, and instantly fell in love.

Reply To Post

5. by jazzsaxman
          (28 posts)

19 years ago

thats strange- because i got the exact opposite feeling when i tried the keilworth sx-90 at ww/bw i thought the sound was thin and tinny. maybe individual variances between horns..

Reply To Post

6. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, could be to do with the set up as well.... I preffer to play with my "broaken in" reed that is super soft, and rumbles with that otto link 8*.... I still don't know how to do altissimo, but I'm begining to notice that when I start getting into intence soloing, sometimes those harmonics come through.. I wasn't able to get that much out of the yts-275.

Reply To Post