Saxophone Forum

by mufasa
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Nightmare Overhaul Experience - watch out!

I did a very risky thing sending my Mark VI to a well marketed Internet repair guy based in New Orleans. I won't mention his name but he calls himself the Sax Gourmet. Nice guy, horrible work, service levels bordering on criminal. In fact the experience drove me to the BBB, the New Orleans Police Department, and a Private Eye before I got my sax back 6 months after-the-fact in completely unplayable condition. Watch out for this dude.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SheriRDH
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Nightmare Overhaul Experience - watch out!

mufasa... I live very close to New Orleans and next time send it to a shop nearby.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I am very careful who I take my horns to. There are a lot of hacks out there. At least it was just a Selmer and not a vintage Conn or a King! (I had to throw that in there) Sorry about your horn, and good luck. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by jazzauthority
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

I heard of that dude. he has a great website, and offers all kinds of good advice. Thank you for informing us all that he can't repair horns. It's sad to hear that he hurt your baby, but hopefully you can get it back to good playing condition. I had a complete overhaul done on my MK VI Tenor years ago by a technician in Toronto at Long & McQuade. He did an amazing job at a fair price. I don't know if he still works there, but his name is Gary. The shop is rediculously busy in the summer with lame school repair jobs, but if you get you horn in in the fall after confirming by phone maybe he could do some work. It's a longshot though, as this was about 8 years ago. Besides, you're probably not going to be sending your horn out anytime soon. Good Luck. Cameron jazzauthority.blogspot.com

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

I will recommend Paul Maslin Woodwinds in Chicago. I have three Mark VI'S, live in LA, and always send my horns to to Paul Maslin. Fred Hemke recommended him to me. Check out his website if you like. I bought a soprano recently that played ok out of the box. I sent it to Paul, and it will cham a cobra snake now. Best of luck to you!!! :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

* charm a cobra snake. sorry for the typo!!!!

2. by mufasa
      (9 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. Not that I want to start a slander campaign, but I feel obligated to warn people about this guy in New Orleans. Just unbelievable. From his web site you would think you couldn't go wrong.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

I live in a new area about a hundred miles from where I lived a few months ago. I had a repair guy I really liked back there. He worked mostly on student instruments and certainly isn't of the woodwind repair elite, but he treats me fairly and he indulges my psuedo-knowledge when it comes to instrument repair. I trust him, which is why I went 60 miles out of my way today to bring him my bari to fix. There are two repair places near my new place of work, and one only pics up instruments left at Schmidt's (I won't let anyone touch my horn whom I know nothing about). Trust is a big issue with my horns, so is having open communication. I've never dealt with Saxgourmet, and I'm not endorsing the idea of him being untrustworthy, in fact, I recall a number of people saying how happy they were with his work on SOTW.

Reply To Post

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Jamterry. You live in L.A. and you send your horns out to Chicago??? holy mother! that must cost something. There's a great store in Anaheim called Anaheim Band Instruments. search on google and you'll find it. The people there are very, very nice, and the technicians know their stuff. I think they're pretty well priced also. They'll be closed july 2 through july 12 because they're remodling the whole store Have you been to this place? Oh yes! they also have a cool room i like to go in when i try out instruments. It's a Wenger room that gives the sound illusion that you're in a cathedral. the room lets you set about 14 different sized places. it's fun

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks West, I'll cruise out there sometime when they reopen. I want to try out some new horns. When I bought my tenor and alto, there were only about two choices available. Now they sell the necks for more than I paid for the horns. If you get a chance, go to Baxter Northup and check there music selection. It is in Sherman Oaks. Peace Out :)

3. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

*their music selection. sorry for the typo

4. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

sweet. found it.

Reply To Post

5. by saxyjeff
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

De Ja XXXXing Vu

3 years ago me an d my 82XXX MK VI went drinking and driving. We wound up in the hospital, both county hospitals...lol. Except instead of California I too, falling for the Super Salivating Marketing Guru in New Orleans shipped mine there. And to add further insult to injury (are you listening Connsax?) I re-routed my newly Ebay purchased vintage Conn Bari (previously owned by Brian Axelrod, whom the Sax Gourmet mentioned he knew on the phone when I talked to him about "checking it out too" , I had brian ship it there first). Anyway, the I blame it on the post concussion syndrome but after 4 mos and many pleasant phone calls from the Chef (i even had his personal cel number) he finallly called me and told me that he was holding my horn and it sounded great....wanted to know where to send (them) too. I got the Bari first....it wouldnt play. He had packed it very well and all the keys had clamps and bubble wrap. It was so disappointing but I heard that shipping sometimes does that. A few days later I got the Tenor. I payed almost $1K for repairs and a complete overhaul. I cant began to describe the horror....even the springs were not even a match...blue springs (OEM) and stainless steel aftermarket car springs...... He's lucky he's half a continent away. What till the next NAMM show though... Everyone stay clear of this guy..... The irony is I really think he knows his shit....oh well..live and learn. For you Calif Cats there is an incredible guy on the Central Coast in San Luis...Nick Rail @ Nick Rail Music. There's also an incredible guy (Rubin?) in Palm Desert. If interested email me. Nick had to completely re-overhaul it for another grip. but it is perfect now.....well as perfect as a selmer can be. Jeff

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: De Ja XXXXing Vu

There is a guy here in Flint, MI named Sherm Mitchell who has been repairing instruments for years. Sherm himself does excellent work, but he's pretty much retired and unfortunately some of the people he has working for him now don't do very good work. I think that is the case with a lot of these shops, or they have more work than they can handle, so they skimp out on a few things. I've been pretty happy with The Wind Works in Burton. They do pretty good work, but sometimes it takes a while. I'd rather wait for a good job than have a quick hack job. Hey Jeff, I played a Cannonball alto a couple months ago that I really liked. I had been thinking about a King Silversonic but I haven't found one for a decent price that wasn't all beat to hell, so I am seriously considering buying one. I would prefer they were US made, but I have the utmost confidence in Tevis and Sheryl and their company. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by saxyjeff
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Jim, Man my friend Paul has a couple of incredible horns of the stone series. They are silver big bells that, surprisingly (thanks to the large bell?) are not too brite at all. He's almost completely retired his Mk VI. Pauls working with them about the neck. He spends a lot of time up in Lenny Pickett land screaming blues and funk and the cannonballs cant seem to get them out as easily as his VI. Pete Christlieb (plays a berg and cannonball silver BB stone) uses there older necks (they're a little smaller in bore than the newer necks) and I think Paul is waiting on one to try out after playing Pete's for a while. The CB's are silky smooth and can scream immediately. You might want to find (if you can) a dealer large enuf to carry several examples so you can play them all. Like everything else they're all a little different. Side note...Wife distracted me and I missed an old Conn Artist series alto (gold plated) that sold for about.....$350....@#$#@$@#$#%#% man, would have been worth that to see if it was worth restoring. LOL of course, once again I'm baseing my value on the horn on what Steve the Clown says they're worth on his website...lol Jeff

Reply To Post

8. by mufasa
          (9 posts)

19 years ago

His name is Steve Goodson. Apparently a decent bari player. But a frigg'n thief in the horn repair business. His wife Sharon is whacked out too. When I finally got them to email me a return UPS tracking #, she had the fucking nerve to tag this quote to the bottom of the email...... The Music Business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Thanks, fuckwads. You owe me $1000

Reply To Post

9. by bmcguire
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

You can tell this guy's a hack by the "custom" keywork he did on his own personal tenor. I'm not an instrument repair person but I am a very experienced fabricator and the stuff he does is simply awful. It looks like he hacks up pieces of brass with a chisel and glues em on with globs of solder! But, he can cryogenically freeze your horn to make it sound better.... WTF is that!

Reply To Post

10. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've never seen any of Steve Goodson's work, but this isn't the first time I've heard people say he was a hack and a thief. I've never heard any complaints about Tenor Madness, and the work that I have seen him do was quite impressive. Goodson though I wouldn't trust to fix a kid's kazoo!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by saxyjeff
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

The thing that really sealed the deal on me using this Asshole was that I told him to go ahead and cryogenically treat the horn (supposed to relign the atoms and improve resonance..like demagnetizing your tape heads..if you're that old to know what tape is...I think anyway). He actually told me that it was bullshit and talked me out of it, when he could of made a few hundred more. Really thought he was a straight shooter. I guess he was...right straight up my ass. Jeff

Reply To Post

12. by saxyjeff
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

Why a return UPS#...were you contemplating sending it back for more torture? lol. Unbelievable. I tried to post warnings on his website but of course they were immediately deleted. I cannnot believe that he is able to stay in business. I heard the Unison people fired his ass and are no longer associated with him...that must have been a treat. Just looking at that crazy looking clown on his website...I can only imagine what his My Sharona looks like..Must have found her at the Hotel California (think her tag is original advertisement copy?). Fuckwads is right....So how did it ever resolve out? did you get your $ back? did they fix it right?

Reply To Post