Saxophone Forum

by spaceboy
(5 posts)
19 years ago

need advise for my first purchase please

I put down sax ten years ago after high school and want to begin again. I'm looking for a 200$ to 300$ beginner tenor that's good. I've been all over e-bay and there are plenty to choose from both new and used. I know little about the different brands and I just need a nice, innexpensive, tenor sax. any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Zheng
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

Re: need advise for my first purchase please

i sugest u put more than 200-300 dollars. i suggest u get a yamaha or vito student modle. if wanna go cheap go with vito. there about 800-900. both about the same and both very good horns to start on.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm looking for a 200$ to 300$ beginner tenor that's good. I've been all over e-bay and there are plenty to choose from both new and used. --------------------------------------------------------------------- I know of no such animal. I'd recommend a higher budget for a more certain success at finding something suitable. try www.kesslermusic.com. That's where I'd go if I were in a bind for money and needed something good.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Kessler has some good student horns that are very reasonably priced. I would also recommend them. I would avoid the new Ebay horns under $300. There are many posts in regards to these cheaper horns. I have tried a couple of them, and they are so bad that many places will not repair them, and the pleather pads (that's right, plastic leather) don't last any time at all. The Conn Director's model horns can often be bought on Ebay for around $300 - $500. The earlier models (pre 1969) are best.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by spaceboy
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

cm'om everybody...are those e-bay saxes really that bad?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

YES! THEY ARE! Just read the comments on this forum from people who have owned them! But hey, it's your money. Spend it as you wish!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by spaceboy
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

1. by i just play
            (16 posts)

19 years ago

No No No spaceboy, If you buy off ebay, you have to do your research. Great deals do exist, but hard to come by. Dave Kessler is a great place to start. Don't buy a new chinese piece of garbage. I'm selling an alto on ebay that would be great if you wanted an alto. Tenors cost more. Take your time, don't buy the old horn in need of a complete overhaul with dent removal. That horn you were looking at would cost at least $400.00 to fix. If you want a great alto check the unisons on ebay or go directly to Dave kessler.

Reply To Post

2. by i just play
            (16 posts)

19 years ago

No No No spaceboy, If you buy off ebay, you have to do your research. Great deals do exist, but hard to come by. Dave Kessler is a great place to start. Don't buy a new chinese piece of garbage. I'm selling an alto on ebay that would be great if you wanted an alto. Tenors cost more. Take your time, don't buy the old horn in need of a complete overhaul with dent removal. That horn you were looking at would cost at least $400.00 to fix. If you want a great alto check the unisons on ebay or go directly to Dave kessler.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

19 years ago

Go for it, then get it repaired

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

19 years ago

I wanted to get the advice to go for it in before the auction expired, but will say just a little more now. Buescher is a fairly reputable brand, I played a Buescher bari in college (owned by the school), and had no trouble with it. However, that dent in the bell is quite significant, and you will want to get it repaired. Than much bend will effect the sound. Don't worry about lacquer scuffs and dings, the most important thing is the sound, and if you find you want to upgrade, many dealers will take a Buescher in as a trade, whereas they won't take cheap brands sold new on ebay. Good luck.

Reply To Post

5. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

19 years ago

My typing can be atrocious--THAT much bend, not than...

Reply To Post

6. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

19 years ago

Only one bid, about one minute before closing, was it you?

Reply To Post

7. by spaceboy
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

missed it! Ohy vey. Well, I'll keep looking. Any suggestons now that I have you?

Reply To Post

8. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

19 years ago

I'd stick with name brand, which would include Conn, Selmer, Buescher. I believe Keilworth is too new to be found on ebay. I bought an alto (Conn) on ebay last year for my daughter, it works great. Tenors are a little harder to find. Good luck!

Reply To Post

9. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

Spaceboy - I've sent a list of affordable players I have to your profile email address along with pictures.

Reply To Post

10. by Saxon
            (100 posts)

19 years ago

The way I see it You can either get a real cheap sax and use it for a while till it needs repair and then use it for a planter and then get what you want... or spend the money on a good one, incase you don't get another chance. I got a nice Conn C melody for $311 on ebay, no dings and good pads. The best Conns were made between 1920 and 47 You may be lucky!

Reply To Post