Saxophone Forum

by Augman
(29 posts)
19 years ago

chirp

For many years while using an Otto Link tone master on my alto I got a unwanted chirping sound.When I switched mouthpieces (meyer) a few years ago the problem went away . Now that I am starting to play tenor I am getting the chirp again. Especially in the upper register around G G#. Itdidnt used to happen with the same mouthpiece. Did I get some bad reeds? Does the register key not close right? Suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

19 years ago

Re: chirp

I had the problem with Jody Jazz piece. Jody Espina suggested that i try a stiffer reed. I went from a #2 1/2 reed to #3reed and the problem was eliminated. Hope that this helps you.

Reply To Post

2. by knorter
    (205 posts)

19 years ago

Re: chirp

Chirps happen because the reed isn't forming a good seal with the mouthpiece. There are usually 3 things that can cause this: your mouthpiece facing isn't perfectly flat, your reed isn't wet evenly, or the reed is warped. If this only occurs with one mouthpiece then you need to get that piece resurfaced by a mouthpiece expert. Do you soak your reeds well before you play? Try using a piece of wet/dry sandpaper in very fine finish (700 or higher) and rub the back of the reed gently across in an up and down motion following the grain of the reed. Make sure to do this on a perfectly flat surface like a handheld mirror or piece of glass. If none of these help let me know we'll try something different. Because your problem went away when you switched pieces, I'm guessing it may be the facing of your Link. Good luck. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ