Saxophone Forum

by paingod
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Keilwerth Shadow tenor???

Anyone tried one of these? can anyone post a review? I am seriously contemplating a purchase,

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by TMoOBiC
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Keilwerth Shadow tenor???

I haven't tried a Shadow tenor, but my Keilwerth SX 90 R is a real solid horn and well constructed. I have lived in Singapore where weather is very humid and the pads on this horn hold up great. I've only changed the high F,middle B, and just getting around to changing the dreadded low Eb. Amazing! I did have to unlearn Selmer tube playing though. It's just not like Yamaha, Selmer, Yanagisawa or horns of the like. I learned to relax and let the horn play. It's important not to overblow the horn or you lose the sweetness. For me I also found that I could use a less radical mouthpiece and still get a roaring tone. If the Shadow plays as well as my tenor, I'm gonna buy another one, cuz dats a bootyful horn man. Recently went by the Cannonball website, and their horns sound like they may also be the bomb too. The company seems to be very service oriented, plus I just love their story. I will check the Cannonball horn out before I buy the shadow.

Reply To Post

2. by ORIF
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I don't own a Shadow tenor. But I have borrowed one from a good friend of mine for about 2 months, and I would say, If I didn't find a better tenor, id buy that one. Before buying the keilworth, id seriously advise checking out oleg's saxophones. I'll tell ya, they are worth it, but I do have to say the shadow tenor is a nice horn. Thats really all I have to say. I mean, the keilworth has nice key work, nice finiish, nice sound etc. yeah, i leave out important things sorry lol.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by paingod
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

WOW, that Oleg Sax looks pretty interesting. His site is partially down, what price range are these selling for? I dont suppose anyone has one of these?

Reply To Post

1. by saxman191
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

I have an oleg horn that i would like to sell. It is a beutifull horn with amazing intonation. the horn is in excellent condition without any dents and has been played for 3 years. the price is 4,000. email me (brian) at [email protected] if interested, i can send you detailed pictures.

Reply To Post

2. by ORIF
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

His Alto Lists at around $4500 tenor is probably around that as well. But im not totally sure.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by ORIF
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention, I play the alto, and I love it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by k7michal
        (34 posts)

19 years ago

I only held the shadow (SX-90R ) for about 30sec, before I realised that the SX-90 works better for me. The SX-90R is a loud horn. If you like intensity this is the one for you. Unless you use a supper soft MPC and Reed combo.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have tried several Keilwerth saxophones. I currently own a Keilwerth SX-90 soprano. The shadow tenors are a beautiful horn. They have the vintage sound like a Conn with the rolled tone holes, and a very fast, positive action. The horn is very comfortable to play. The quality and craftsmenship is outstanding. The Keilwerths have the best pads of any of the modern horns. They're extremely durable; even waterproof. The quality is much better than that of the Selmer Reference Series, or the pro model Yamahas. I think they are the best made saxophone on the market. On the downside, the tone rings have been subject to some problems. Like the vintage Conns with the rolled tone holes that I collect and repair, the tone rings have to be perfectly level. If the tone rings are warped to any degree at all, it can be very hard to get the pads to seal properly. I don't think that this is a major problem with the Keilwerths. I have played several, and I have never seen a horn with this problem. Also, the Keilwerths, like the Conns and many other vintage saxophones, like a mouthpiece with a large open chamber. I wouldn't use a mouthpiece with a small chamber or a restrictive baffel because it could cause intonation problems. I would highly recommend the Keilwerth SX-90 and SX-90R/ They're both fantastic horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

Ditto on SX90R - I play a gold lacq alto and a nickel-silver tenor. I find them to be very comfortable to play and the sound and extremely well built. I may pursue an SX90 sop one day. On my alto, RH "D" and the lower tone holes were noticeably warped when I checked them against a smooth flat surface. After I leveled them, I found no difference in the way it played, however. It played great before and after I did the "fix". I've not checked my tenor for this problem. It's new and I've not had a reason to disassemble it, though I probably will sometime mid-July. If you want to play boldly (jazz/rock), then the Shadow (also a nickel silver body) will certainly please you. I play a Ponzol M2+ if I need super projection, and it's an awesome match with the tenor. If you need to play very warmly or in a concert band/ensemble situation, the right choice in mpc helps, and I use a homemade bell mute which does the trick (a 2" wide ring of bubble wrap that fits just inside the top of the bell). I'd recommend an Otto Link Tone Edge 5 for legit. I played mine last night with a Link slant sig 4 (w/ Med Hard Fibracell) and it had a really warm, thick sound you could cut wih a knife - and the bell mute wasn't necessary. So I advocate that the nickel-silver and Shadow horns can cross over to the dark side as well as slay dragons.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

19 years ago

All this lusty talk of Keilwerths makes me wonder why I can't find one I like. The EX tenor I tried was horribly set up, and it sounded shrill and thin in the highter octave and palm notes. The black tenor with rolled toneholes had a lot less leakage, played well down low, but was weak and resistant the rest of the way up. I'll have to play with more Keilwerths just to be sure I don't like them.

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Do you mean the Yamaha custom EX? did Keilwerth release an EX or something?

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Keilwerth's EX-90 is an intermediate horn. They have many of the same features as the SX-90 and the same basic design, but a few less frills. The Keilwerth ST-90 is their student model. These horns are built by the Jupiter company to Keilwerth's specifications.

Reply To Post Yahoo!