Saxophone Forum

by tribegirl
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Question about sore 2 front teeth.

I’ve been reading about how bad it is to bit down too hard on your sax mouthpiece when playing. But, I’ve only heard that in reference to the bottom teeth hurting the bottom lip. What about my sore 2 front teeth? Is my embouchure wrong? Or am I just in the normal beginning stages of playing sax. Thank you, tribegirl

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spezzie
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Question about sore 2 front teeth.

My two front teeth hurt sometimes, too. As you gain experience, tho, it's a lot easier to losen up a bit because you feel more comfortable. So, don't worry! But try to remember to loosen up periodically. It's like keeping your fingers close to the keys: it takes a conscious effort at first. In the meantime, there are little pad things that you can put on the top of the mouthpiece to cushion your teeth and to protect the mouthpiece from getting the "tooth groove". Long and McQuade has them...and I'm sure pretty much any other music store worth its salt :) J

Reply To Post

2. by xXaltoXxXcrazinestXx
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

yea, when u first start out your embouchure isnt strong enough so you have to tighten up your lips, but with lots of praactice, and concetration in no time you will be able to loosen your jaw and be able to play with comfort

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
      (76 posts)

19 years ago

Any time we have pain of any kind that includes teeth and lips we are applying too much pressure. The muscles in your cheeks and around your lips will hurt because of strain. That is normal and you will build stamina. Applying too much pressure with the mouth means there is not enough support from the stomach. Take a big breath watching you stomach push out, now play constantly keeping the abdominal muscle flexed. It is difficult but it will become second nature. By doing this the horn becomes easier to controll allowing you to relax the death grip on the mouthpiece that is causing discomfort. Good Luck keep practicing. Tracy

Reply To Post