Saxophone Forum

by Take the coltrane
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Need some advice on buying an Tenor sax

I am getting out of high school and am going to go study jazz at Capilano and I need to invest in a new instrument because right now I have benn playing an Armstrong. I am leaning towards buying a yamaha 82Z because I heard it had a bright tone but I am wondering which saxophones would be better If I wanted a tone closer to coltranes or Stan Getz. I have read that the 82Z is close to the sound the Selmer Mark VI had. I would also like adivice on which mouthpeice would be better to buy for playing jazz (preferably metal). I would like to know what type of laquer would be more preferable to a bright tone as well but I dont want to go with a silver finish because It will eventually tarnish. Thank you for any comments and suggestions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need some advice on buying an Tenor sax

Try a Keilwerth SX 90R. They have a great vintage sound. I'd recommend the Jody Jazz ESP mouthpiece. As for the lacquer, that really doesn't make a huge difference. Either lacquer or black nickel finish would be cool.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Take the coltrane
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

How are the vandoren, selmer and berg larson mouthpieces? I wont be able to try the Keilwerth until around the end of august because I live in a more rural area (northern B.C.) so if I dont win the lottery today I will probably wait until then. Do you know how much more gold plating will cost to get on the instrument then just the normal lacquer.

Reply To Post

3. by xXaltoXxXcrazinestXx
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

ok, if u want the ultimate sound that is really dark then u should get a otto link florida, or a selmer soloist vintage c* long shank, ive played one b4 and its really nice. saxaphones however i prefer the bright sound, and plus in all alto so i kno nothing about tenors cause i havnet played many so yea

Reply To Post

1. by rob07
      (38 posts)

19 years ago

so jim, would you recomend a keilwerth over a z

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you're looking for more of a vintage sound, yes. Sometimes the Yamaha's sound a little thin to me, while the Keilwerth has a little more depth. Not that the Yamaha sounds bad, don't get me wrong here. While the Yamaha has move of a bright, airy sound, the Keilwerth has a darker, huskier tone. The Yamaha Z might sound better on rock or modern jazz, while the Keilwerth will sound better on blues, soul/r&b, funk, traditional jazz/big band, or bop. It's just a matter of preference really. Play both. They are both excellent horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!