Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
19 years ago

Guardala, P. Mauriat, Selmers (Old and New), and Conn Saxes..HELP!

I am looking for a new professional horn because I have recently grown out of my previous YAS-23 student model horn. I have heard that I should stay away from the Series III, but the IIs might be OK. Additionally, I have heard that the vintage Selmer horns are excellent. Regarding the Dave Guardala series, does anyone have any complaints, recommendations, and general info about their alto horns. Also, I have heard of an obsure brand of saxophones called P. Mauriats. From what I have heard from DownBeat magazine and other articles, they are excellent horns for the price. (2100 for the altos and 2500 for the tenors) Has anyone else heard of these saxes? I just need help picking the best choice out of the many options. -Josh

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzfool132
    (144 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Guardala, P. Mauriat, Selmers (Old and New), and Conn Saxes..HELP!

By the way, I am a 14 year old sax player desperate for a new horn. However, I have little experience in choosing the right saxophones. I would appreciate anyone's posts in this discussion! Thank you!

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

I play a black nickel 501 Guardala Tenor. You can reach altissimo with ease, the tuning is spot on, the low notes are phat, easy to subtone, slaptone, its a fantastic horn. Guardala have recently ceased production and have sold out of the Black nickel series except for a few Black altos. they still have plenty of Earthtones (another fine guardala series) Gold plated, clear lacquered, they've sold out of the Silver plated though. The only setback is the price. My Tenor cost $7000 Australiain Dollars, so the alto might be a bit cheaper than that. The Yamaha Custom series altos are awesome too, I tried out a silver Custom Z and it was awesome. Again, price is a major factor. I would definately recommend old Selmers (and new) and also Conns, they have wonderful sounds to them, but sometimes tuning can be a bit of an issue with the older horns (as I found with my old Buescher 400 tenor) Best of Luck with it all, EL SEANO Trane Lives

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

Ask connsaxmanjim

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Guardala's are AWESOME horns. Unfortunately, I guess they're not making them anymore. That could work to your advantage though. You might find one at a really good price. The P Mauriats i am really not that familiar with. I have heard of them, and never heard anything bad about them, but I have never seen or played one. I really can't tell you much about them. As for Selmer, I think everyone knows my opinion about them. Vintage SBA's and Mark VI's are great horns, but people want a ridiculous amount of money for them. The Mark VII's are ok for classical, but suck for just about everything else. The newer Series II and Series III's and the American series suck, and the new Reference series horns are way over-priced and over-rated. The best Conns are those made from about 1930-1963. Conn 6M's and 10M's are my favorites. I just love the tone. The 10M tenor though can be a nightmare when it comes to intonation. Many of the modern style high baffel resonator mouthpieces do not work well with the Conn 10M's. They need a wide open chamber. I ordered a Jody Jazz ESP. I talked to Jody, who also plays a Conn 10M, and this is what he uses. His mouthpieces are AWESOME, by the way. I know you didn't mention anything about Yamaha, but the 62 Series II and the 82 Custom Z are both great horns at a very modest price. I would also highly recommend the Keilwerth SX 90 and SX 90R (with tone rings). The R cost considerably more, and honestly, the tone rings don't make that much difference. I would say just go for the SX 90, and get a really good mouthpiece like the Jody ESP or the new DV. The B&S Medusa horns are really nice too. Just find the one that you like the best! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Have you played a Medusa Alto, Jim? I'm might get one, but any advice before hand would be appreciated.

Reply To Post

3. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

The biggest issue for me right now is finding any outside information on these P.Mauriat horns. I want to believe what the stores that sell them are saying, but they are just trying to make money. Does anyone have any site I can check out for outside info on these horns? Does ANYONE in this forum know any more info about these horns or has actually tried one and bought one. Finally, in their adverstisements they state that P.Mauriat horns blow other horns away in that pricerange.($2100-$2600) Does this mean that Selmers are better horns because they cost twice that much?

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've only played one Medusa and it was a tenor. I've seen a couple altos and heard one that a guy was playing, but I didn't get the opportunity to try it. The tenor I played was really nice; very similar to a Keilwerth SX-90 design. The B&S lacked some of the finess that the Keilwerth had, but it was considerably cheaper. The quality though I think is very good, and they have a great sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by bmcguire
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

To what I understand the Medusa is what used to be the Gurardala line of honrs, I am looking to try one cause I really liked the Guardala Altos

Reply To Post

6. by saxyjeff
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

Jazzfool.. When I was 14...all my friends were playing brand new nice shiny $350 Conn Saxs (student model crap in the 76-80 era). By dad came back from the flea market with an old, dusty, musty horn that he traded a shotgun and 35 bucks for. It was old, scratched up. I took it apart (not completely) and cleaned it and put it back together and it still sounded better than the pretty conns. It was a Noblet, an intermediate model I found out later. I had a crappy plastic mouthpiece... If I had it to do all over again and money was no object then listen to these guys and focus on a yamaha, keilworth, selmer, cannonball, guardala...stay away from everything else until you have more experience. If money is an object....Dude...Get a Great Vintage Professional Sax like a Conn, King or Martin. Then get a Jody Jazz mouthpiece, some good reeds and you will be much happier. I've had new horns but now have vintage selmers, a martin alto from the 30's that sounds incredible (very pretty) a killer Conn Bari 12M..The most import thing is a killer mouthpiece because with a mismatched mouthpiece (expensive or cheap) will make the most expensive horn sound like a lead pipe. Spend $100-350 for a good piece. Many music stores have mouthpieces that you can try in addition to the horns themselves...Just be prepared to experiment for a while. If you have a good instructor ask him to help you by going with you or bringing one or two to him to help you evaluate. If you dont have one...find one, at least to consult you on your choices. Good Luck Jeff

Reply To Post