Saxophone Forum

by HDBariSax89
(1 post)
19 years ago

Bari Upgrade

Recently the Bari that I was using went kaputt on me (Have to share with 3 others, too much usage and not enough care.) My old band director from middle school (My favorite, probably because he specializes in Bari Saxs and thinks I could make All-State Jazz for SD) said I should get my own, and he could find one with an affordable price. Not long ago he found a P. Mauriat Bari Sax in an antique finish, which he says looks absolutely gorgeous and says I could get it for around $3,500 with a stand, case, and cleaning kit. What I want to know is how do the P. Mauriat Bari's stand up to the others in the price range (Yamaha YBS-52, Yanagisawa B901, and maybe a couple others that I haven't looked at) and the works; sound, action, the rest. Also, I plan to continue Bari through high school and up to college, maybe longer. Oh, I play mostly jazz and some concert music too. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Bari Upgrade

Hey man, i know what your going through on this. I would stay away from anytihng that isnt a yamaha, yani, or selmer. Ive had REALLY bad experiences with some of the random smaller horn companies. The Yamaha YBS-52, which is the intermediate model, is a little more expensive but its worth every dime. Buying a yamaha is an investment, because they are well made and will not fart out on you a year or 2 in. I havent played it, but ive heard the same of the Yani B-901. A friend of mine plays a 991, and he swears it is the most well made horn on the market, but that is the pro model. As far as playing jazz on Bari goes, its a strange world. Everyone says selmers are the greatest vintage saxophones, and i think they are in terms of altos and tenors, but in my opinion, NO ONE has EVER made a better sounding bari than CONN did in the 30's. They have no low A key, but their sound is awesome. I know, this just made it more confusing to look for, but if i were you, I would get the YBS-52, because its something you'll have for a while, and if in a few years you need to step up to a pro (AKA Unnecessarily overpriced) horn, at least you will always have your Yamaha to fall back on. Good luck with your bari search...

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

I had to rent a Bari for a recording session a few years back, and it was a Yanagisawa. It played really nice even though I had to use a bass clarinet mouthpiece. I took it home a few days before the session, and I didn't want to take it back. I had her down low the whole song and she had a nice throaty sound. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Haven't tried any Mauriat's though they do seem interesting. Folks over at SOTW seem to think they are very good, though sound completely different than Yanis and Yamahas.

Reply To Post

1. by Zheng
      (23 posts)

19 years ago

BariSaxplyr i agree 100%. the yas-52 is worth every penny. it has a great sound for nething u need. jazz rock calsical. also its one tough horn. it might even be a life time horn. my buddy own once and he has beaten that thig so much but if stil sounds new. also the mp that come with is about equlvant to a c*. hope this helps.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by DG
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

ok, kid, listen to me, I am a lifelong bari player. ok, so I am an amateur, but I practice alot and people say I have a great sound. here's the deal, about 32 years ago I got a low A mark 6 as my graduation present from high school. then, after college, I sold it. stupidest move i ever made. anyway, I got myself a Selmer Series II brush finish bari a few years ago. it is an amazing, awesome sounding horn. as good, if not better, than a mark 6. the brush finish gives it a richness that the regular lacquer horns don't have. yes, they are expensive, but less than a mark 6. do not consider anything other than selmer. these are unbelievable horns and will last a lifetime. good luck in finding your horn. go out and play as many as you can, you will find the one that is your voice. be patient and have fun. good luck!!

Reply To Post

1. by BariSaxplyr
          (35 posts)

19 years ago

Hey thats a good call on the Series II. I forgot to mention... the best value EVER in baritone saxes is USED Series II bari's. I saw one on eBay go for only 2800, which is less than a new yamaha. I would stay away from buying them new though, because recently, selmer has had some trouble with quality control. I've played series II's that outplay most Mark VI's, and have been dirt cheap because they are used, and there isn't really a big markey for new Bari's.

Reply To Post