Saxophone Forum

by redleaf12
(13 posts)
19 years ago

Sax Off-Key

I played a house party tonight (the first with my new sax) with an 80s cover band. Our performance was taped, and when I played the tape back, I was horrified that my 6-month old Yamaha YTS tenor sax was really off-key. As in "it's like he's playing the wrong note" off-key. That can't be a function of pushing the mouthpiece in or out. Can a sax be totally out of tune? If so, what should I do about it? Sign me, Horrified

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax Off-Key

well red it's hard to say without hearing it. if you are out on all the notes, it's probabaly you, not the horn. and why can't it be just pushing the mpc in or out? another thing did the band actually tune up? i know some guy can't tune their own gitars by themselves let alone with others they are playing with. so there are lots of variables involved. i played with some garage bands where i had to play the same song in different keys cause the morons couldn't stay in tune. also could you not hear what you were playing? it helps to have a monitor or play near the pa system if you are mic into it along with the vocals.

Reply To Post

1. by redleaf12
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your reply. While the band (especially the synth keyboardist) performed prior to my entrance, I would stand in the back and mimic her. I was noticing I was very flat. I would quietly stand in the back and push the mouthpiece in and out, but nothing helped. Some notes sounded okay, others very bad. I've taken my sax in for leaks, etc (I even brought it in the day before the performance). But I've never said to the repairman, "Can you see if the sax is in tune?" Is that a legit request?

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

All of you need to tune to the keyboards. Digital synths have a pitch variance in different patches. An analog lead line synth has no set tuning. They are hard to keep in tune. I would suggest that everybody should tune to a piano patch on the digital or analog polyphonic synth. As the heat goes up, your sax will go sharp and the guitars flat. Someone needs to be in the audience to tell you how it sounds. In a hot room you are going to pull your mouthpiece out. I have encountered these problems before as a sax and keyboaerd player. The bottom line is to practice with the full band and hammer it out!!!! If the keyboardist tunes to a chromatic tuner, that would be the ultimate effeciency approach. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by redleaf12
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, Jamterry. That brings up what may be the problem. This was an outdoor party. We played outdoors. So if the hot indoors make you pull out the mouthpiece, do you push it in for a cold room?

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

Tell the keyboard player to check her keyboards On a digital synth there is a digital tuning function. On an analog polyphonic there is uasually a tuning screw somewhere. You guys need a chromatic tuner to get the keyboards in tune. After that everyelse tunes to the keyboards. If the keyboard is using a monophonic lead line keyboard, he or she has to keep it in tune. I have an Arp Odyssey and it is really hard to keep it in tune. If you can tune to the synths, the guitars won't have any problem. Tune to A which is G on your tenor. The guitars will tune accordingly. Heat makes your pitch go up. No matter what you all have to be in tune to the keybords. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ