Saxophone Forum

by JAYSAX23
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Starting a band

My name is Jay and I am a sophmore in highschool.I want to start a band b/c I love the sound of different instruments put together.I was wondering what do I do first and how to look for my members my age and with a good personality?Thanx alot

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KingNecron
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Starting a band

What kind of band are you looking to start? Also, a good ol' saxophone quartet or quintet (2 altos, 1 or 2 tenors, and a bari) is always a fun group to start--I had one in high school and we played swing and jazz at a lot of functions--it's a lot of fun, especially trying to write and arrange your own music. One guy in our group did an arrangement of the Mario Bros. theme song for our group. So many memories...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by JAYSAX23
    (12 posts)

19 years ago

I wanna start a contemporary band,drums guitar bass and me the sax player I wanna do talent shows,gigs,play at restaurants.That is what I want.Any suggestions

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I know exactly what you have in mind, Jay. I play keyboard and sax in a 5 piece band with guitar, bass, drums, and a lead singer who also plays a little keyboard and harmonica. A keyboard really helps if you can find a good keyboard player. It's hard to play both sax and keys, so I do some sequencing, and our lead singer plays a few chords here and there. First of all, you're going to need some sound equipment. You might need to invest in a small PA system. You might look at Musician's friend (www.musiciansfriend.com). They have some packages that are very affordable. Of course, you will need a couple microphones, chords and stands and all the accessories. I would suggest a mixer with a built in effects unit and power amp for starters. I would advertise in your local music store, or maybe on a bullitin board at school; "looking for musicians, ages ??-?? nterested in starting a band to play locally" and list the instrumentation that you are looking for. Perhaps you might run across someone who already owns a PA system. Look for musicians who also sing. Everyone in our band sings, including me. We do a lot of old time rock and roll, and some doo wop music, and the vocal harmonies just sound so good. Of course, you want to try to find people with the same musical interests. You'll want to audition players, and when you have enough people to form a band; you'll want to get together and make up a song list together of the songs that you know, or that you want to learn. Think about your audience and the types of gigs that you intend to play. Our band plays a lot of dance music. We play a lot of local bars and clubs, and we try to get people up on the dance floor. Start with your cover songs. Once you've put together a list of about 40 songs or more, start making some CD's of these songs to listen to and practice with. Eventually maybe you'll want to work up a couple original songs. Try to get your band together at least once a week to practice for 2-3 hours. In the meantime, make sure that your band-mates have copies of the songs that you want to do. Pick a couple songs off that cd to work on between practices. It'll probably take a couple months of practicing to put it all together. It's a lot of work! Keeping a band together is one of the hardest things in the world to do it seems! Good Luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Once you get your band together and work up about 40 songs that you can play comfortably, you'll want to get some promo material together. Have a friend take some photos of the band. Include a copy of your song list, and you're going to want to record a demo tape. You don't have to have a professional demo, but it helps. Just try to get a decent demo that is a good representation of your bands and the kind of music you play. You're probably going to want to have some business cards made up also with your band's name and contact info. Start a band web page and email account. Just use one of the free ones like geocities and yahoo. Make sure you put the info on your business cards, and then put your booking information on your website. I'll be happy to give you a few pointers. Just drop me an email.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

just a few more things to add... MIC EVERYTHING!!!! you can always turn them down later, but nothing sounds better than a drum kit though a pa! (seriously) NEVER admit a mistake, let the audience call you on them. don't worry about equipment yet, get a band first, and then start looking for hookups... or renting! and finally, DON'T EXPECT TO MAKE MONEY RIGHT AWAY! that's all I can think of at the moment.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by KingNecron
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

The most important thing that connsaxman_jim and chiamac are forgetting is this--it's all about the rock. Don't stop rockin', and rock until you don't think you can rock anymore, and then kick it into overdrive and keep on rockin'. Rock on, my man, and good luck with your band. Let me know what name you choose.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

Just don't forget to practice safe sax. Us musicians get a bad rep quick.

Reply To Post

4. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

also make sure everyone is serious about doing the whole band deal. also u gotta figure out who's payin for the pa, who keeps it, who holds the money, and how it gets split (evenly is suggested), and how much goes into a band "pot" if u want one to purchase stuff w/. sadly, finances ruin even poor starter bands. just make sure everythings clear, and agreed upon. also on the flyers, put up what type of music you're interested in playing.

Reply To Post AIM