Saxophone Forum

by saxitup
(49 posts)
19 years ago

YAS 23 vs YAS 52

Need some advice... I'm considering an upgrade from my YAS-23. While I like the sound quality of this horn (i use a brilhart ebolin #5 mp and vandoren #2 reeds), I think I would achieve a better sound with a YAS-52 or another mid-level horn. I don't have a lot of money to spend. In fact I plan to sell my YAS-23 and my old vintage pre-chu alto in order to help finance my new purchase. Would a 52 be a substantial upgrade from a 23? Any thoughts on the 52 in general? Are there any 52 competitors you would recommend?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by syrasax
    (75 posts)

19 years ago

Re: YAS 23 vs YAS 52

I don't have any personal experience with the 52 but the lady who sits next to me in community band went from a 23 to a 52 and she's pretty happy. I played it some and it's definitely an upgrade from a 23. I just recently went from the 23 to a 62 and so far so good, really like it a lot. Not sure what your budget is but if you're selling two horns for one you might want to consider a 62. The 62 replaced the 52 didn't it?

Reply To Post

1. by Zheng
      (23 posts)

19 years ago

the yas 52 is a good horn but is very bright. i havet play the 62 but i would think the 62 would be better.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by dirk-lo
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

Yeh, a 62 is a really good mid-level horn. Before I entered high school, I switched from an old buecher to a 62 that I bought from a college student who was upgrading. For $1,100 I got a real good sounding, responsive horn that I played through high school real hard and still play at Berklee occasionally (even though I've switched to tenor). I've never had it overhauled and it still plays relatively well. It was a good investment. Eric :-)

Reply To Post AIM ICQ

1. by Tully
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Having played the 23, 52, and 62, I can assure you that the 62 is by far the best of those three.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by xXaltoXxXcrazinestXx
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

personaly, i havnt been playing for that long, but i think it would be better to go with a pro horn instead of an intermediate, something like the 62, or the yamaha custom z gos for pretty cheap too if dont have that much money, but if u do get enough money i sugest the super action 80 serie 3 or the referance 36 ive played the tenors and i liked the tone, they had darker, full tones, so thats wut i think. but its up to u

Reply To Post

1. by saxitup
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

I'm a big fan of yamaha since I've had such good performance from my 23. I'm very close to sealing the deal on a new 62. I just need to convince my wife in letting me buy another sax. That's the hard part.)) I tried a 62 gold plate recently. A sweet horn! But I liked the flashy looks of the silver plated version. I plan to test drive the silver this week. Any thoughts on silver vs. gold?

Reply To Post

2. by Vondermark
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

I like the YAS 62 for the sound and money. Just... don't try to take it out on a marching field like a guy I know did in high school.

Reply To Post AIM